ms660 gas tank hole from handle screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newworld

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ms660 oem tank.

repair hole from a screw that went through the tank from the pto side handle bar.

its a clear circular screw hole, otherwise tank is good.

thinking about different repair techniques for this one...

(1) just melt down that hole from the inside
(2) put some plastic in screw hole and proceed with option1 again
(3) fill hole with seal all
(4) fill hole completely and screw hole with jb weld until flush with outside and drill away
(5) cover longer screw with ptfe tape and seal all and once put in never remove screw permanently (dont like this option)

i think gas tank is pa66 i have other parts stihl gas tanks i can take bits of plastic from i guess...but im not sure what other plastic has pa66 that will melt nicely to fill hole

Another possibility: replace the tank housing. They are still available and for less that $50. Fuel leaks like this are very difficult to fix using chemicals or heat. JB Weld usually fails. I have replaced several tank housings on MS 660s and other Stihls. Good Luck!

i didnt want to replace gas tank housing...so heres what i did ymmd...

aired it out for days before proceeding...took long screwdriver bent tip so it would curve around and not touch other places inside tank...heated it up with torch.

before that chopped up steel wool real fine, got small piece of plastic and shoved down the hole.

applied heat to smooth over hole and melt some plastic both inside hole and around it.

applied small dollup of jb weld at bottom...and also put screw in there so i knew threads would still be fine and backed screw out

time wil tell

i didnt want to replace gas tank housing...so heres what i did ymmd...

aired it out for days before proceeding...took long screwdriver bent tip so it would curve around and not touch other places inside tank...heated it up with torch.

before that chopped up steel wool real fine, got small piece of plastic and shoved down the hole.

applied heat to smooth over hole and melt some plastic both inside hole and around it.

applied small dollup of jb weld at bottom...and also put screw in there so i knew threads would still be fine and backed screw out

time wil tell
The melted plastic might do the trick, coupled with the screw as a filler. I have tried this with a hole hat somehow got drilled into an Echo CS-340 top handle tank. It works for awhile and then resumes. My problem is a bit different, however. There are cracks radiating away from the hole. and likely those keep leaking fuel. Vibration from the engine sets up the leaking once again after the repair. Fixing a leaking chainsaw fuel tank is always frustrating.

Latest posts

Back