My 346XP NE just got a Walbro HDA-199 upgrade...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRHAWK9

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got to use my monkey'd 346XP with a monkey'd Walbro 199 carb (off a 359) yesterday cutting up a decent sized oak. The saw ran freakin' great! It's "only" tuned to about 13,800 out of the cut but still see's 11,000-12,000 buried 16" deep in 24" oak wearing an 8 pin 0.325 rim. I addition to the carb I also replaced the whole intake assembly, from the cylinder to the air filter, with one from a 359 and put on a new top cover w/o the primer bulb provision. My 346 was one of those in which never did receive an 'XP' sticker on the cover new :(

Anyway, here's a pic of my primer bulb/Zama less 346XP NE. :D

I should also state that Scott (tree monkey) should get all the credit, as he did all the work.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I originally had the saw ported with the Zama carb. Scott mentioned he probably would have ported it slightly different if he had known I was going to want a 199 carb put on it later. He says it's probably not ported optimally for the 199 carb.....seems to run great though.

Last edited:
I originally had the saw ported with the Zama carb. Scott mentioned he probably would have ported it slightly different if he had known I was going to want a 199 carb put on it later. He says it's probably not ported optimally for the 199 carb.....seems to run great though.

That sounds likely, if the venturi in the carbs are stock. :msp_wink:

The saw was ported by Scott a month or two ago, it had the stock Zama carb on it then. The saw ran great then too but never got it into the woods to do actual work before I decided I wanted to put a Walbro 199 carb on it, so it went back to Scott's for that. He just mentioned he probably would have ported it to slightly different numbers if he was porting it for the larger 199 carb vs the stock Zama.

Latest posts

Back