Nachi Bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SKF, SNR, and Nachi are all current suppliers to OEM. It was SKF that supplied the infamous "wrong metallurgy" bearings to Stihl for the 046 during 1997 that would only last around 240 hours before both bearings would blow. That cost Stihl millions of dollars in warranty claims and labor. It was also SKF that supplied the bearings to Stihl for the first generation HT-101 pruner head that ended up having loads of problems.

SKF, SNR, and Nachi are all current suppliers to OEM. It was SKF that supplied the infamous "wrong metallurgy" bearings to Stihl for the 046 during 1997 that would only last around 240 hours before both bearings would blow. That cost Stihl millions of dollars in warranty claims and labor. It was also SKF that supplied the bearings to Stihl for the first generation HT-101 pruner head that ended up having loads of problems.

Where were you BEFORE I ordered the bearing

Where were you BEFORE I ordered the bearing

That doesn't mean that SKF bearings have a problem today. They're in millions of saws still running. Obviously, they make a great product. I don't think JJ is suggesting anything differently. Like any company, they're not immune to periodic problems. I have no concerns for the bearings in my 041G.

Bottom line, pick a proven name brand and run with it.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean that SKF bearings have a problem today. Obviously, they make a great product. Like any company, they're not immune to periodic problems. I have no concerns for the bearings in my 041G.

Bottom line, pick a proven name brand and run with it.

Exactly. My experience has been to talk to engine builders, not sales reps. Sales reps in general don't rebuild engines and do repair work. Talk to the technicians who are handling the products everyday.

I've used Nachi for 30 years in industrial electric motors as that's what my boss's and then my bearing supplier sourced and they've always been fine, but back when I raced karts in the eighties my engine builder would use only FAG on the bottom end (and Thompson for the little ends)

This was for engines turning up to 18,500RPM at the time.

I've used Nachi for 30 years in industrial electric motors as that's what my boss's and then my bearing supplier sourced and they've always been fine, but back when I raced karts in the eighties my engine builder would use only FAG on the bottom end (and Thompson for the little ends)

This was for engines turning up to 18,500RPM at the time.

Hey, if you guys are looking for quality bearings don't limit yourselves with ABEC-3 rated bearings; step up to ABEC-7 ultra precision bearings. Only cost about $120 each though. Rated to 40,000 rpm. I mean...go big or go home right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7203CYP4-Na...mm-40mm-12mm-Ball-Ball-Bearings-/360392126954

Back