Need some quick advice for my 288xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyFlip

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Happy Labor Day weekend everyone. I'm a homeowner, not a pro. I'm going to combine a couple of four year old historical threads into this new one. I wussed out and gave my 288 to a local Husqy dealer because it won't run like I want it to. He called and said he wanted to put a new carb and a bunch of gaskets on it for $175. His diagnosis was that the high set was about 10k RPM and it was running too rich, so he bumped the high to 12.5k and adjusted the low set and idle. He said it cut good, but that his adjustments wouldn't hold; like the carb was no good. I'm not sure that's the problem and here are the symptoms:
  • Have to pull hard "1-2-3" about half the rope to get the compression out, let wind back up, then pull to crank. Takes 4-5 of these pulls to start it.
  • It wants to bog down in big wood; chain (full comp H47) comes to a complete stop at full throttle sometimes and I have to back it out.
  • When it gets hot, it doesn't want to stay running and it won't idle well.
In 2020, I cleaned up the carb, replaced all the gaskets, fuel line, fuel filter, air filter, replaced the base gasket, put on a new exhaust arrestor, and replaced the piston ring. The saw has set up for the last four years because I haven't needed the big one again until now. But it acted this way before. I'm wondering if I just need to clean the carb real good and run the saw hard to let the new ring break in? I use no-ethanol 91 octane and add Husqy oil at 40:1. I thought about sending it out to someone for a full tune and port job, but I need the saw now to finish processing this tree. I even thought about buying a new big saw AND sending this one out to make a hot saw. Thoughts?

What I did to the saw in Feb 2020

My big oak I saved for four years

When we cut the 10k pound strap in the big oak, it held up. I cut it down because I didn't want it to uproot and it was heading that way. Another tree in the backyard uprooted and I cut the whole thing in 9-inch rounds because a friend wanted short splits for his offset smoker. The 288 went through all those 24-inch rounds but it bogged down a lot and I had to crank it several times to finish.

20240807_090529.jpg20240807_094420.jpg20240713_124555.jpg

AFAIK the carb is OEM. I did a compression test four years ago and got 55psi, but I admit in that original post that it was my first time to run a compression test on a saw.

AFAIK the carb is OEM. I did a compression test four years ago and got 55psi, but I admit in that original post that it was my first time to run a compression test on a saw.

Not compression- pressure- the first goes out the plug hole (and 55 psi is not a true reading), the other gets pushed in through the plug hole and you check to see if and where it is coming out.
You mention replacing a lot of parts- except the main crank seals- which will cause a lot of the issues you are experiencing.

Stihl advice was TOO quick. I went and met the tech. He said plenty of compression and no leaks. I even took him two crank seals I had bought to do the job a few years ago but he said no need. So I'm reluctantly going with the carb replacement to see what happens. Probably could/should have pulled the carb apart and cleaned it real good myself and rebuilt it, I just wasn't in the mood to tinker with all this wood on the ground. Ironically, my 257 carb started acting up this week; sounds like something stopping up the low jet, so I'll have to pull and clean it out.

Latest posts

Back