new member with a Pioneer P61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

108logger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1980 Pioneer P61 with a 36" bar. Recently acquired this saw after it sat and rusted outside for 10+ years.

Got saw running great and it lost compression after 10 minutes.

In process of taking it apart to rebuild it. Ran into a few problems.

1. Flywheel will not come off shaft. Tried using a puller and tried method of using a nail and punching into center of shaft.

2. Broke one of the clutch hub fingers. Clutch hub is threaded onto shaft and I cannot get it to break free. I did remove the nut from the shaft and it is "right hand threaded" . Clutch assembly should unscrew from shaft but is stuck and wont come free.

I searched for new clutch parts and the hub pieces I found in diagrams and for sale don't match what I have.

1. Is there a special way to remove flywheel and clutch other than what I tried?

I attached a picture and pdf of the model 61 parts to show the difference in the clutch hub piece.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    147.3 KB
  • pioneer_p61_r_g_s_w_chainsaw_ipl_432522.pdf
    1.3 MB
I’m pretty sure from looking at pic that your have a splined clutch, not threaded. It is pushed on to shaft. Has to be pulled off?

I’m pretty sure from looking at pic that your have a splined clutch, not threaded. It is pushed on to shaft. Has to be pulled off?
You are right. I went back yesterday and soaked it with penetrating oil and it pulled off.

I thought it might be threaded since a lot of newer saws are.

Still having a problem getting the flywheel off. Put penetrating oil on shaft and letting it soak in. Will try again today.

Latest posts

Back