New Stihl climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In order to meet new emission standards, most newer saws use smaller openings in the muffler. This restricts the flow of exaust and keeps more unburned gas from exiting the muffler.
In addition to polluting less, this makes the saw run quieter and cut more wood on a tank of gas.
The down side is that it makes the saw run hotter, which is hard on the saw. It also reduces the power because there is more burned gas left in the cylinder after the exaust port closes.
Many guys will order a muffler from an old saw which has larger openings or just take a drill to the muffler and make the openings about 125% the size of the exaust port.
This makes the saw run cooler, last longer and adds about 25% more power.
There is a lot more information and pictures on the chainsaw forum.

And some saws have aftermarket mufflers availible that add performance.

The trend in new saws is to add displacement, so they can port it down and have similar hp to the older modles under the stricter CARB requirements.

So people will buy them, and mod them so they can have a saw with even more power:rolleyes:

Power Ported?

So my question what is meant by power ported? Is this something anyone can do? What all do i need to do to my 200t to get the most power i can? Has anyone tried fuel additives for their saws. A gentleman in AZ was telling me a couple of weeks ago about additives, to my knowledge this wasn't a great idea w/ small engines. Any answers?/??????

???? What is the model # of this new saw?

I called Stihl in Visalia and the folks claim they know nothing about this new saw.
What are the numbers /model name on it?
Frans

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
The trend in new saws is to add displacement, so they can port it down and have similar hp to the older modles under the stricter CARB requirements.

So people will buy them, and mod them so they can have a saw with even more power:rolleyes:

Sounds like a win win to me!!:D

Carl

We aren't talking about people with a solid understanding of chainsaws and chains here. Neither of them are running full chisel chain on their 020T's.

I run full chisle nonsafety chain on my 020. It's pointy where the top plate and the side plate meet.

Semi-chisel.gif

semi chisel

chisel.gif

full

I don't have the Stihl poart numbers here, but I just ask for it and they spin it up at Egglehoff's

So I guess Brian is the one who knows so little about what he's talking about.:p

JP,

Brian is correct with his statement. You are also correct in saying you have non safety chain if it doesn't have that extra depth gauge to reduce kick back. If you have 3/8 Picco it is a semi- chisel, look at the back of the tooth, if it has a rounded corner it is semi-chisel, the front of the tooth can be decieving to look square. Picco chain also has a P stamped on the cutter. The only way an 020 could run RS (full chisel ) is if it was set up for .325, which I don't think is possible, if it can be set up this way it would rob the saw of power and cutting speed. If it was possible to run full chisel on an 020 climbing saw I'd have reservations about it because of the increased kick- back potential.

I'm going to futher confuse this full chisel off topic disscusion.

Sthil has what they call RSK chain, this is what I would call full chisel. It looks like it has three cutting angles and requires a special file to sharpen it. I think this is the same chain in G. Beranek's book "Fundementals of General Tree Work " he refers to it as just chisel chain . This chain is best for bigger saws cutting big timber. I always wanted to try some, but finding the files for it aren't available in our area. If I'm on the right track here this full chisel would make Sthil's RS chisel chain, a semi-chisel.

I was over at our Sthil dealer today, asked about this new mystery saw. If Big John statement is correct about having the narrow kerf mini chain on it. it's going to be weak and under powered like the 19.

Larry

Last edited:
JPS and kurtz,

You'll have to post pics of your chain setup for us to believe what you are saying.
I will repeat, if you are running .370 low profile chain, you are not running full chisel. It is not made...period.

lawmart,

The 338 sucks. It has some weird intake setup that did not allow Dan to properly open the intake port. So, I have $550 in the saw, and it still won't outcut an 020, which my 335 would do handily when new...and only cost $120 to mod, by Walker's, who don't do as good or as much work as Dan, Dennis, Ken or our other builders.

I'm buying another 338 Cali to replace the one I lost, adding a bulb to the carb, as the housing has a cutout for it, and having Dan mod it. That should really cut, with the added 7 cc. That saw can be bought at Bailey's-- baileys-online.com

No comments on the bare head, Trav is only a few feet up, and just climbed up for a pic...We called this tree and the one I'm in "Octopus trees" Amazing they survived the topping 20m some yrs ago....

Has anyone tried the run of skip 3/8 low profile that Carlton made? I thought about ordering some. Now if I could just find a 27" bar for the 019T......;)

New STihl Climbing Saw?

Regarding this new climbing saw...
I spoke with the West Coast Stihl rep. (Randy West) who said he never heard of any climbing saw in R&D. He said it may be possible that Germany is working on such a saw but that in any case the process takes 2-4 years at least before any sales start. I will see him at TCIWest and talk to him more about this
Frans

Latest posts

Back