New tires/wheels for 9-inch chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Ojanen

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need new tires for a BC935, and so I'm thinking, What's the best? This picture motivated me to think about even new wheels. Are bigger tires better? How big? I know more air volume can be a shock absorber.

2064A-8.jpg
My priority is to protect the chipper and also towing safety. I drive all over Cincinnati on interstates and through hilly and sometimes rough pavement. I don't generally drive much slower when towing. My primary tow vehicle is an F-450 flatbed. My backup is a Ram 1500.

I would sacrifice fuel efficiency for safety and machine longevity.

(Also, I only just bought my BC935 in an online auction. Once I pick it up, I will have more questions to ask after I gather engine details. I know it's a diesel with low hours. But, for now, I need to purchase new tires, because I've been told the tires are no good at all. Rims are okay.)

Nice chipper. I owned a 935 with a Perkins diesel.

Don't recall the tire size, I believe it had fenders.

Exposed tires like this will throw a lot of road debris on you and nearby vehicles.

Regretted selling it, now own a BC1000XL

I need new tires for a BC935, and so I'm thinking, What's the best? This picture motivated me to think about even new wheels. Are bigger tires better? How big? I know more air volume can be a shock absorber.

View attachment 1184218
My priority is to protect the chipper and also towing safety. I drive all over Cincinnati on interstates and through hilly and sometimes rough pavement. I don't generally drive much slower when towing. My primary tow vehicle is an F-450 flatbed. My backup is a Ram 1500.

I would sacrifice fuel efficiency for safety and machine longevity.

(Also, I only just bought my BC935 in an online auction. Once I pick it up, I will have more questions to ask after I gather engine details. I know it's a diesel with low hours. But, for now, I need to purchase new tires, because I've been told the tires are no good at all. Rims are okay.)
Well if you can find an old school tire shop they would have the best answer.

I've got the current tire size and will just take the wheels to get new tires as my default plan. I would buy something better if anyone mentions they've found something better.

Yes, I do want to keep machinery in good shape. I also better confirm how well my truck's mudflaps are working. They're probably fine, because I've never noticed much splatter on my enclosed trailer.

I do not own a chipper. The tires look like the small five bolt pattern, 15" to me. Thick tires don't mean much. You need the weight of the equipment to ensure you are not overloading them. My first thought would be a trailer tire, but weight may bring you into a stiffer truck type tire. Taller tires will raise the height of your hopper platform, might be easier on the back and maybe even safer.

Back