Bar oil $7.49 @ TSC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, I have done the same with no negative results. No used motor oil from oil changes, though, that stuff is nasty!
Yea, used oil is nasty and really not good to expose your self to it. I did plenty of dumb stuff as it pertains to exposing myself to toxins when I was younger. I am not going to compound that stupidity now.

Fyi, Harvest King bar oil is $7.49 a gallon at Runnings.
@JoshNY Can you grab me a gallon and ship my way? I have no stores that carry Harvest King locally and it was tested and proven to be great by Project Farm video on Bar and Chain oils. I will pay for the item and shipping, if you don't mind taking time to buy and ship it to me. I buy Pro Select currently for $14.98/gal. Works okay, can't complain, but would not mind trying Harvest King for a change.

@JoshNY Can you grab me a gallon and ship my way? I have no stores that carry Harvest King locally and it was tested and proven to be great by Project Farm video on Bar and Chain oils. I will pay for the item and shipping, if you don't mind taking time to buy and ship it to me. I buy Pro Select currently for $14.98/gal. Works okay, can't complain, but would not mind trying Harvest King for a change.
The shipping one gallon is a dealbreaker, get 12,I bet you can get them from the net if you search.

Just a heads up. So I've got a few TSC stores near near me but their CountyLine bar oil is $15. I called and spoke to a manager at one of the stores and he said if you pull it up on your phone and can prove that another store, anywhere, has the same product for a cheaper price then their store will match it. Basically price matching regardless of the location of the store.

Just a heads up. So I've got a few TSC stores near near me but their CountyLine bar oil is $15. I called and spoke to a manager at one of the stores and he said if you pull it up on your phone and can prove that another store, anywhere, has the same product for a cheaper price then their store will match it. Basically price matching regardless of the location of the store.
I did this last year for a guy in another state in my CRG. But they wanted to see the receipt.

So took a pic and sent it to him so they would honor the 7.49 price for a bunch of them.

Any bar oil will work just fine. I would bot go to much length to obtain harvest king if I had other cheap bar oil available.
And all PF proved is which oil did good in his tests.

Guys im buying here next like suggested

The rebate money as store credit is a bit of a sham IMO but whatever.

View attachment 1186370
Local home improvement stores occasionally offer this bargain. Whenever they do, I try to buy enough to last me until the next offer. I have never had any complaints with this brand.

One thing that has not been brought up here is whether a better bar oil is worth the extra cost if it works better (meaning extends the life of the bar and chain). Fortunately, it does not appear that the costly oils actually work better. But even if they did, would it be worth it? In my experience, I go through many gallons of oil before the bar wears out. That means I spend more on the oil than the bar, several times over. It would not make much economic sense to get a little more bar life for a lot more oil cost. As for the chain, usually it wears out from the necessary repeated sharpenings, not from lack of lubrication. I had only one chain that had worn so much that the adjustment on the saw reached its limit before the sharpenings reached the limit line near the back of the tooth, and that was an Oregon chain, which is much softer than Stihl. But removing one link solved the problem. Chain wear may be a greater problem with a long bar, as there is still the same adjustment range on the saw. But since I mostly use a 20" bar and sometimes a 25", I don't think it would make economic sense to buy expensive oil even if it were better.

Any bar oil will work just fine. I would bot go to much length to obtain harvest king if I had other cheap bar oil available.
And all PF proved is which oil did good in his tests.
We will just have to disagree about Project Farm in general. I have watched quite a few of his videos, and while I sometimes see things I disagree with, in general, I find him to be creative in developing test methods, examining multiple attributes of the product, thorough and as fair as he can make it. Some of his tests are irrefutably quantitative and repeatable. (check out anything to do with ratcheting wrenches, where he measures how many degrees they can advance per cycle in a tight space and what torque it takes to break them.) Others are a bit subjective at times, and he admits that when doing them. I also look at Consumer Reports, and I find their testing is often rather simplistic compared to what PF does.

We will just have to disagree about Project Farm in general. I have watched quite a few of his videos, and while I sometimes see things I disagree with, in general, I find him to be creative in developing test methods, examining multiple attributes of the product, thorough and as fair as he can make it. Some of his tests are irrefutably quantitative and repeatable. (check out anything to do with ratcheting wrenches, where he measures how many degrees they can advance per cycle in a tight space and what torque it takes to break them.) Others are a bit subjective at times, and he admits that when doing them. I also look at Consumer Reports, and I find their testing is often rather simplistic compared to what PF does.
I havent watched all of his tests. Many of the ones I have watched are not valid and tend to test parameters that are not applicable, period.

Latest posts

Back