New to me Oleo Mac 962

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
Reaction score
Picked up this very clean low hours Oleo Mac 962 a couple weeks back. Had over 170 psi of compression and started up first pull after it coughed on the choke. Owner said they had only used it for a few days a year for several years when they cut firewood on their brothers property.

Did not need yet another saw............ but since when has commonsense and logic dictated a chainsaw related purchase? Price was right and i was curious as i have a couple of old yellow Macs but have never own an Italian Mac before. $300 AUD is a steal for a saw this good. Power to weight is up there with the best saws on the market even today. Cuts well and is extremely light and well balanced for a saw with this displacement and power. 5.6 Kg PHO and 3.5 Kw are very respectable numbers.

Downsides are the air filter design is quite poor with the way it seals down on a rubber gasket and i need to get a flocked filter as the mesh one it has now is bad for my cutting conditions. It has a front chain tensioner, but it is not something that really bothers me. Will also have to try to find an outboard felling spike to go on that clutch cover.

Anyone who knows more about them or has access to parts and especially flocked fleece air filters, your input would be greatly welcome. I know these have been sold under other brands/models like Efco 962 and John Deere CS62 I believe. So any parts that work and not just Oleo Mac specific would be great to find. I'm scared to use it too much with that crappy nylon mesh filter it has on it.

EDIT: Forgot to say another big plus is that it uses husky small mount K095 bars. Which is great for me as I have many 20" small mount bars that would be best suited to a more powerful saw for the wood i cut. 20" on a 5105 or 346XP is a bit much for the hardwoods i usually cut. So nice to have a saw i can use them on now.

IMG20241012174026.jpg

IMG20241012174047.jpg

Back