Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys consider the muffler mod to be necessity? Screen Clogging common? I might do this to mine, I have the fabbing / welding ability to do it as shown.

Or is this only something to do if I really wanna let'er fly?

1) Yes, if you really want it to run to its potential.
2) In some cases the screens are a bottleneck.
3) Why wouldn't you want to "let 'er fly"???

These saws have the ability to run with the best there is available even in todays market.
My old "ugly bastard" is a runner in anybody's book.
Let them do what they were designed to do!
And HAVE FUN!!!

Mike

anyone want to buy a good running poulan 3800? i replaced the paws on the flywheel and adjusted the carb and replaced the starter pulley. well i let the dealer replace the pulley but i done the rest though. and it needs an air filter for it. but i let it go for 80 bucks it will be listed on the classifieds if anyone wants to see pictures just pm me and i'll send some

Last edited:
I'm sold. I still haven't had a chance to run the beast, might not until next week.

I'll do some work with in stock form before doing the mod, so that I can compare the results.

I have been cutting firewood for the past few days with my 4000. I really enjoy using that saw. I had people all over the yard looking to see what saw I was using. They had kind of a funny look on their face as they all were using Husqvarna and Stihl saws. Then this little old Poulan was cutting just as well or in most cases better. Only thing about the 4000 is how thirsty it is. That little fuel tank just is not enough.

I have been cutting firewood for the past few days with my 4000. I really enjoy using that saw. I had people all over the yard looking to see what saw I was using. They had kind of a funny look on their face as they all were using Husqvarna and Stihl saws. Then this little old Poulan was cutting just as well or in most cases better. Only thing about the 4000 is how thirsty it is. That little fuel tank just is not enough.

Thomas, I think the fuel tank is just about right. About the time it runs out of fuel, I'm ready for a sit down break anyway.:) Refuel, get a drink of water, smoke a butt, and sit there enjoying the woods.
:cheers:
Gregg,

"The Dayton 2Z463B"

Ok Gents, Got the chance to run the Dayton today! The weather laid down...supposed to snow tomorrow.

It was getting to hard to sleep until I knew how it would perform in the wood:cry:

THIS THING IS AWSOME!!! All the work paid off! If I can figure out how to send video I will soon as I can!

My neighbor came over "hearing all the sweet noise" to see what was going on. he said it cut like his Husky 372xp! With a 36" bar mine is 28".

NOT to start any trouble but he said my saw was a little slower to turn up than his! Sooooo.... being the gentleman that I am I offered to put them side by side in some 22" hickory and we would see!:greenchainsaw:

When it was all over the Dayton had more "nuts" in the hard hickory and the Husky kept bogging down. In his defense I think he was scared by all the noise the Dayton was making and was trying to push the saw. We both cut three cuts within 10 seconds of each other.

I know this will sart some trouble with the Husky guys but I'm telling it like it really happened:clap: I own a couple of Huskies and love them too. But when it comes down to it I will pick up my "OLD POULAN" and show you how "Poulan Dude" does it!

Now how do you send a video?

Good luck with that request on this Thread! You're better off searching Ebay or other sources. They are hard to come by.
Bob

Don't wish anyone to misconstrue my previous comment. What I meant to say was that a 4000 P&C is cherished on this site and if anyone has one they wouldn't likely part with it.(Oops, ended sentence with a preposition!)
Bob

Was sitting here this Christmas eve morning, after my usual routine, getting up, hit the bathroom, start a pot of coffee, put wood on the fire, then sit down and ck out the Poulan thread.;) Was noticing there have been a lot of new Poulan users, lovers, collectors, and just plain curious addicts to this (hobby) of ours in the past year or so.

Was kinda curious as to which Poulan saws are your favorites. I know its about like having to choose which of your kids to save,:( but if you could only keep 3 of your Poulan saws, which would they be?

For me I guess it would be a 4000, 5200, and 245A. And, if it came down to only saving 1 saw, which would it be? For me I would pick the 4000.:D
For me its the perfect "firewood" saw. Can handle different bar lengths well, not to heavy, power, ease of maintenance or to work on. And they just plain look good too.

What be your picks?:clap:
Gregg,

Don't wish anyone to misconstrue my previous comment. What I meant to say was that a 4000 P&C is cherished on this site and if anyone has one they wouldn't likely part with it.(Oops, ended sentence with a preposition!)
Bob

Can't blame me for trying...I take no offense to your posting.

Was sitting here this Christmas eve morning, after my usual routine, getting up, hit the bathroom, start a pot of coffee, put wood on the fire, then sit down and ck out the Poulan thread.;) Was noticing there have been a lot of new Poulan users, lovers, collectors, and just plain curious addicts to this (hobby) of ours in the past year or so.

Was kinda curious as to which Poulan saws are your favorites. I know its about like having to choose which of your kids to save,:( but if you could only keep 3 of your Poulan saws, which would they be?

For me I guess it would be a 4000, 5200, and 245A. And, if it came down to only saving 1 saw, which would it be? For me I would pick the 4000.:D
For me its the perfect "firewood" saw. Can handle different bar lengths well, not to heavy, power, ease of maintenance or to work on. And they just plain look good too.

Gregg,

Gregg, believe it or not most of my cutting has been with my trusty, bought new in 79, 3400. Purely stock but I love it. Run a 16in. bar which is good enough for most of the cutting I do in Vermont.
Bob

Gregg, believe it or not most of my cutting has been with my trusty, bought new in 79, 3400. Purely stock but I love it. Run a 16in. bar which is good enough for most of the cutting I do in Vermont.
Bob

I hear ya Bob. :bowdown: Here is an older pic of my still "stock" 3400, except for the bar, I bought new in spring of 86. I have cut more wood with that saw in my life, than any other.

DCP01672.jpg

Gregg,

Gregg,

If you mean I could only keep three and those would be the only three that I had to use to cut my own personal firewood, then I think my three would be

S25cva, Poulan Pro 365 and a 5200.

Dammit, you just made me leave out my "favorite" saw, a 245A!

Gregg,

Yep, me too,

Did the coffee, firewood and the 3 S"s too.

I guess I would have to go old school. I would pick in order the 361 with a bow, 245sa and the 25. Still use all of these to cut wood.:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

Merry Christmas

Latest posts

Back