Old Wood Cook Stove Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinch53

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok gang here we go...I am thinking of installing an older or new wood cook stove in my home..Who has them? Do you like them? maybe pro's and con's and some pics...DW :popcorn:

Here is mine..

This is before the stove pipe was added.. Please do not build a fire in it though.. The pipe elbow just butts the drywall for looks..
I have radiant heat in my slab. My house is 3200 sq. ft. and the garage is even close to 75 degrees. No need other than looks for the cookstove
http://www.pbase.com/ericjeeper/image/91883320

Last edited:
Yes I have a 1901 Moore cook stove and yes I'm a man and yes I like to cook. Mine is a model designed for coal so burning wood requires constant tending of the fire due to the small fire box. Cooking on a wood stove can be very rewarding for the cook , learning to bake is a bit daunting for the beginner. With wood you have to pay attention constantly or it isn't going to be pretty. There are many old stoves out there the problem is finding one not worn out, new ones are available but expensive. Find a good stove and remember these things were built for old houses with large kitchens and require lots of clearance from combustibles.

I have been looking for a decent wood cook stove for my wife for 6 yrs now. We live in a log home and she would just love to have one of these stoves and actually convert it to gas and use it everyday in the kitchen.

I thought about buying her one of the new ones, until i seen the price :jawdrop:

If anyone has one for sale please let me know...

Here's mine, a 1909 Glenwood C. These are really great stoves. They are a large chunk of cast and so radiate allot of heat, plus you can cook and bake with them. The whole top is a giant cooking surface. Slide too the left for higher heat, right for less. When baking you need too spin the bread etc.. 180 degrees at half time as the oven is hotter on the firebox side. I use mine from Oct-May up here in Maine. Note temp gauge on oven door at 475 :cheers:
attachment.php

Last edited:
I opted for a new one that is all plate steel, no castings and no sheet metal. It does not have all the authentic charm of the oldies but is a bit more compact and airtight. do a google on Kitchen Queen to see a picture. Mennonite made in Indiana.
It has some differences in air flow that gives a very even oven heat although the oven door thermometer is totally out of whack. I shifted its range so it is about right at 350 F. It is set up for a water heating coil which I have not got around to installing yet as I want to move the water heater immediatley behind it. If the weather gets on the warm side, you wind up overheating the house before you get the oven to biscuit temperature but it will be kind of nice if the power is off for a week sometime. This one is UL listed which might be of concern if your home insurance is sticky. An old original might be more of a problem.

Here's mine, a 1909 Glenwood C. These are really great stoves. They are a large chunk of cast and so radiate allot of heat, plus you can cook and bake with them. The whole top is a giant cooking surface. Slide too the left for higher heat, right for less. When baking you need too spin the bread etc.. 180 degrees at half time as the oven is hotter on the firebox side. I use mine from Oct-May up here in Maine. Note temp gauge on oven door at 475 :cheers:
attachment.php

She's a beauty.I have my Grandma's sitting in a shed, waiting to be of service.Lot of good memories.What does your insurance co. say about it?

Thanks Coog,

Yep love the old gal. I have a second one in the barn myself. Insurence didn't say a word since I said it's a cookstove and not a primary heater. I think they look at it like a decoration, although I said I do run it from time too time (wink):cheers:

Last edited:
I think a lot of those old cookstoves suffered the same fate as a lot of the old steam tractors during WWII scrap metal drives. Wood/coal heating devices were spared because oil and gas furnaces were not in widespread use until the 1950's, while gas and electric cookstoves have been around for a lot longer.

Here's mine.

I must have posted this a half dozen times over the years but I'm pretty proud of it so here we go again....

attachment.php

There have been years when we only used it during the holidays for supplemental cooking but now it's a "daily burner". For the last few weeks I'd say we've prepared more meals on this stove than on our electric one.

I have been trying to convince my wife for years that we could use one. Our kitchen is the coldest room in our house and we would use it only in the fall/winter time. Maybe I can show her some of the ones you guys own that that will help my "cause"

Here's mine

It a commercial/institutional Glenwood; eight 'burners', central firebox capable of holding a fire overnight, originally set up for a hot water tank in the back, 7 (yes, 7) dampers - making it possible to run 2 different temps in the ovens. It's one wa-aaay cool stove and I use it daily in the winter and weekly the rest of the year.

It a commercial/institutional Glenwood; eight 'burners', central firebox capable of holding a fire overnight, originally set up for a hot water tank in the back, 7 (yes, 7) dampers - making it possible to run 2 different temps in the ovens. It's one wa-aaay cool stove and I use it daily in the winter and weekly the rest of the year.

WOW!!

I have been looking for a decent wood cook stove for my wife for 6 yrs now. We live in a log home and she would just love to have one of these stoves and actually convert it to gas and use it everyday in the kitchen.

I thought about buying her one of the new ones, until i seen the price :jawdrop:

If anyone has one for sale please let me know...

=====

Here's one but it probaly cost ya as much to ship as the stove cost...

http://yakima.craigslist.org/hsh/920068259.html

These are still produced and sold here.

salgo.jpg

Price around 300 USD.

A lot of people are still using them daily in our remote areas where gas is not available or for their weekend houses where it doubles as central heating.

We had an old one in our old house and tried it a couple of times. The main problem is the small firebox on these things so you really have to be home and keep an eye on it every half hour.

Some, as ours, had a seperate firebox for the oven. With the primary firebox you heat 2 cooking plates (so 1/3 of the top surface) and with the second one the oven and the 4 other cooking plates.

The one on the picture has only one firebox (top small door) the bottom door is the ashtray and the big door the oven, The metal knob next to the oven door regulates the hot airflow around the oven or directly to the chimney.

:cheers:

Good pics, nice stoves!:clap: :clap: A friend went to an auction with me in August (same one I scored my 036 at) and bought a Mealmaster, made by Knox Stove Co. in Knoxville,Tenn. Stove was made in the 50's, company still in business, still can get all parts, design relatively unchanged. No website, but they sell around $1500. worth a look.

Latest posts

Back