optimal bar length for MS-290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My MS-290 came with a 20" bar. The dealer *hinted* than an 18" bar was optimal for this saw. The two things I notice with the 20" bar is that the saw could use just a bit more power to run it, and that IMO the oiler doesn't put out enough to keep the bar/chain happy. Today I picked up an 18" bar in hopes of optomizing the saw. Does anybody agree/disagree with this thinking? I'll use the 20" bar for flushing or if I absolutely need it, the 18" bar for everything else.

Mike , I have a 029s basicly the same saw I run a 3/8 20" on it but i cut pine and fur softwood if i cut hardwood i wood use a 18" or even a 16" or even switch over to a .325 20" inch good luck :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

MS290 optimum bar

For what it's worth (about 2 cents) I use a 290 with an 18" bar and 0.325", .050 gauge chain. It cuts very well with a good sharp chain (like many AS members remind us, and with harder steel - like Stihl chains - holds an edge longer) in both soft and hard woods. I cut a lot of trees after hurricane Ike and never missed a beat. That said, I find that 18" is all it will reliably pull, and will power out if the chain starts to dull even just a tad. I also find the oiler keeps up with it, but just barely. I now use a 575XP / 24" for felling and the 290 for limbing. Great combo.....although I might have gotten the 576XP if it had been released at the time.:clap:

I want to mod the muffler on the 290 to see if I can squeeze a bit more from it. That will be a January project.:greenchainsaw:

I ran my 'lightly modified' 290 with a 20 inch 3/8 bar most of the time. It is the bar that the saw came with. I also have and use 18 or 16 bars on it. I do not notice that much of a difference in cedar and fir. I use all 3/8 because it came that way, and I can swap the bars and chains with my 361s.

We sell the 290's with 18" bars and .063 .325 chains, but most everyone around here is cutting hardwoods for firewood.

We sell the 290's with 18" bars and .063 .325 chains, but most everyone around here is cutting hardwoods for firewood.
Agreed. 18" with .325 fully-buried in hardwood is about as slow as I'd like to cut. I'd not consider 20" and 3/8...

I am really considering a muff mod - I understand these respond well to those.

I now use a 575XP / 24" for felling and the 290 for limbing. Great combo.....although I might have gotten the 576XP if it had been released at the time.:clap: :greenchainsaw:

MS290 as limbing saw? Hummmmmmm..... You need a rope and tackle to get that dog to the other side of the trunc.

hey Gary do you think Peter is a 029/290 hater to bad he doen't know real saws are orange AND white !!!!!!! :jawdrop:

hey Gary do you think Peter is a 029/290 hater to bad he doen't know real saws are orange AND white !!!!!!! :jawdrop:

For the life of me I can't comprehend why so many people bash the Farm Boss. It's like bashing Chinese food...how could 100,000,000 Chinamen be so wrong? LOL.

The farmboss is ok ... weekend warrior saw. Give me a 260 pro saw anyday. I sold my saw(290) and bought the 460. I saw the light when with even the slightest dullness the 20 inch bar would hesitate. Don't get me wrong you don't have to have a pro saw ... 16 would be good ... 18 at the longest for me. :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

So many choices!

I have been running the 290 for 6 years now with the original 20" .050 .325 (full chisel) chain on it since day one and would offer this up: 20" bar works fine if you ain't in a hurry and your chain is sharp but I also think the saw is a little underpowered to pull this size bar too. I do agree that the oiler on this saw BARELY keeps up when you are making a continuous cut in something hard or you are in a hurry. Maybe that is where an 18" may be better suited for people who are always in a big hurry? haha. Just my opinion. Also, I just got done modifying the muffler about 20 minutes ago and maybe that will give it the extra zoot to make it feel better going through a hardwood using the whole bar. Oh, and one more thing, if you are still using the factory semi-chisel safety chain, do yourself a favor and sell it or toss it. After I swapped out to a real chain, I would never recommend using that safety chain to anyone but an idiot that I didn't like! Hope this opinion helps!

if your saw feels under powerd with the 20" try and keep your tree size to 16" or so. that would help it from bogging down and be much cheaper then buying another.

i would tell you how my 026 drags a 24" chain and 18" chain through small wood danged near the same speed but you might not believe me.

wood size always has a bigger effect on chain speed then the chain itself. specialy when were talking 18 and 20" chains in my book these are literaly the same thing. wood size the biggest factor

16-20" with .325 is fine. It oils enough, and pulls it well enough for a 3.5-3.75hp saw. I'd not have wasted my money on a new 18" bar in order to gain back what, exactly?????

The 290 is not an 044, or even an 036. One shouldn't be surprised when it doesn't cut like something it isn't.

Back