optimal bar length for MS-290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really happy with my Farm Boss when I got it. I went for the 18" bar because I was using it up in the trees. I've thought about getting the 20" bar but really didn't see spending the money for 2 inches. Since I got one of my old Homeys running I put the 24" bar on it for fire wood. Just the weight of the motor takes it through 20" wood as fast as you can hold the saw. I do like the 290 for an all around saw, Joe
crazysummer08129.jpg

Like Evan said, 20" bar will cut about the same speed as an 18" in the smaller wood. If you nee to go shorter go 16, but with the 290 stock it won't make that much of a difference. Open the muffler up and it will feel like a whole new saw and you won't need a new bar at all. The 290 is about the easiest saw to muffler mod and there is plenty of info and pics of them modded on this site. Turn the oiler to max and run it. I've run a 25" bar on them after modding of course. The 290 is not going to win races anyway. Theres plenty of oil and if you don't think so, thin the oil out a little. After a MM it will feel like a new saw.

My MS-290 came with a 20" bar. The dealer *hinted* than an 18" bar was optimal for this saw. The two things I notice with the 20" bar is that the saw could use just a bit more power to run it, and that IMO the oiler doesn't put out enough to keep the bar/chain happy. Today I picked up an 18" bar in hopes of optomizing the saw. Does anybody agree/disagree with this thinking? I'll use the 20" bar for flushing or if I absolutely need it, the 18" bar for everything else.

I ran mine with 16, 18 and 20 inch .325 B&Cs, full comp chains, and even after it was muff modded, a 20-inch bar had trouble in bigger hardwood. My hardwood up here is mainly northern red maple, with some of it running 16 to 18 inches in diameter. I borrowed an 18 inch bar for awhile and still didn't like how the saw pulled the chain, so I went back to a 16-inch bar, which was what the saw came with. A muff-modded 290 actually has a lot of grunt when pulling a 16 inch chain through hardwood.

If you're cutting softwood, put on the 20 and don't look back! :clap: :clap:

I was really happy with my Farm Boss when I got it. I went for the 18" bar because I was using it up in the trees. I've thought about getting the 20" bar but really didn't see spending the money for 2 inches. Since I got one of my old Homeys running I put the 24" bar on it for fire wood. Just the weight of the motor takes it through 20" wood as fast as you can hold the saw. I do like the 290 for an all around saw, Joe
crazysummer08129.jpg

I'm trying to figure out where the other shoe is going to drop with the photo. Was there a crane putting tension on that lead?

Jack

Lovin' my modded muff!

Had a chance to run my 290 through some dry logs today after performing a little Dremel modding. I take back what I said about it being a little underpowered now. Haven't had it in anything to swallow up the whole bar yet but I will say, damn, muffler mod sure seems to be making some more power! I don't see any reason at all now to go with a shorter bar personally.

Had a chance to run my 290 through some dry logs today after performing a little Dremel modding. I take back what I said about it being a little underpowered now. Haven't had it in anything to swallow up the whole bar yet but I will say, damn, muffler mod sure seems to be making some more power! I don't see any reason at all now to go with a shorter bar personally.

I hope you pulled the limiter caps and readjusted the carb. If not, DO NOT run it anymore until you do. Otherwise, you will be asking how to rebuild it by post number 15.

Probably want to turn the bold print off, that is pretty much for if you're trying to put emphasis on something.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

I like an 18" on 029/290. Muffler modded ones will pull 20", even 3/8 20" without a problem. When Gary says 20" is okay remember that he is probably cutting a good bit of hardwood with his. Given his level of experience, I would bet his chains are vey sharp and changed regualrly. If I need to use more than 18" bar, I go for a bigger saw. If I didn't have a bigger saw I'd be happy to run a 20" on the 029.

I have heard alot of complaints about 290 oilers. When they are working properly, and the bar oil passage is clear, they will oil 20" just fine. It is true that the 290 has a lower capacity oiler than the 310/390 saws. Stihl did this because the 290 sips fuel. They wanted to make sure the fuel runs out before the oil. If your 290 oiler is on MAX and there is still quite a bit of oil in the tank after funning through a full tank of fuel, you have a problem somewhere.

Thanks for the welcome!

OK, no need to be bold........ I may never come back from where no man has gone before.... haha. Ya, BD, that was the first thing I did was to pull off the limiter caps (drywall screw into the plastic. what a charm!). I actually learned something in small engine class in school! :) From what I have been reading on Arboristsite, I don't really wanna fool around with one of these "clam shell" engines just yet. Maybe in 20 years when the 290 is REALLY tired.

I will definitely agree that Stihl didn't want anyone to use up all the oil first on these saws. I have NEVER run the oil out of this saw, not even close. That was probably smart on their part considering I see a lot of weekend hotrodders using these saws. I don't think they would have the first clue what bar swell is! hahahaha. Can't wait to see how well my fresh mod does in some deep wood! Thanks for the welcome! :cheers:

Back