Oregon Pro-Lite vs Versacut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrick

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've always used Pro-Lite bars, but it looks like now they have released some Versacut. "Up to 20% lighter" and better sealed non greasable sprocket nose.

How are the Versacut holding up? Are they still made in Canada or at least the US?

Just wondering if I should go for the newer, lighter bar or stick with the tried and true (for me at least) Pro-Lite.

I'm looking at a 16" for my 550xp. I run 21LPX chain and it cuts real well.
Pro Lite is 168SLGK095, and the Versacut would be 168VXLGK095.

550xp. 168VXLGK095
I think you have an extra letter, where you put vxl there generally are two letters. I may be out of date.

Last pro lite I got was made in China not Canada. I would expect the versa cut is also of China manufacture the Aluminum core one I got I think it is called speed cut was made in China. I can't say I used it enough to comment other than it fits 0.058 gauge chain nicely when it was supposed to be for Nk that is 0.050. I got it off ebay so perhaps it was seconds.

I think you have an extra letter, where you put vxl there generally are two letters. I may be out of date.

Last pro lite I got was made in China not Canada. I would expect the versa cut is also of China manufacture the Aluminum core one I got I think it is called speed cut was made in China. I can't say I used it enough to comment other than it fits 0.058 gauge chain nicely when it was supposed to be for Nk that is 0.050. I got it off ebay so perhaps it was seconds.
I thought so too, but it appears they have an extra letter in there now? VX or VXLG must mean Versacut, and a K095 mount.
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...25-X-058-66-Drive-Links-168VXLGK095-21BPX.axd

Bummer, all of the Oregon and Husky bars I have are made in Canada. I'll keep my eyes out for either bar if it's Canada or US. You're right, it would make sense with aluminum that it would be coming from China.

I'd get nk speed cut.
I have a 18 inch speed cut bar/chain on one saw and a 16 inch Chinese bar with 21lpx on the other, they're the exact same speed in timed cuts but the speed cut is lighter and stays sharp longer being semi chisel.
Ah, interesting idea. You're suggesting switching to a narrow kerf bar and chain, which is skinnier so it has to remove less material during the cut?

I see there are two narrow kerf chains, do you use 95VPX or 95TXL?

txl cuts noticeably faster than vpx to me.

The husky brand sp33g is another option. Been wanting to try that one.

I do have a few more new loops of 21LPX, but I am open to trying 95TXL. I have read it can kick or chatter a bit more than LPX, do you find that to be the case?

I have 95txl, that's what comes on the new speed cut bar and chain combo.
It doesn't chatter on my saw but I have a 60 cc saw, I ran the depth gauges pretty low on the lpx on this saw to get it to cut faster and it didn't chatter either, 95txl probley does chatter on a 40-45 cc saw tho like most chains that work good on 50-60 cc saws will.

Friend got a Versacut bar/chain combo I f you use it on a saw that' a bit "stingy" on bar oiling expect it to wear quite quickly compared to the older model bars no idea if this was a one off but he wasn't at all impressed

My aluminum core bar got re mounted lately, still hasn't been used much. It seems to have quite a bit of side rocking of the chain for the wear of the rails and paint. Plus like I put a few years ago I am using 0.058 chain and the narrow kerf symbol is visible here. Since this is a .325 nose not versa but speedcut. They likely have another name for the one with a larger nose. That would of course be heavier.speedcut bar used slightly.jpg

Anyone put significant wear on one of these aluminum core made in China for Blount named Oregon bars? It is way lighter than the 24 inch solid replaceable nose I had on it.

here is my new versacut bar

First of all versa cut bar and chain is 4”-6”shorter and the smaller bar your chains traveling at higher rpm range and certainly gonna cut faster as well the bigger bar takes more power obviously so not a real good comparison IMO

Latest posts

Back