Pick a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one would you buy?

• Stihl 25

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Stihl 29

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Stihl 310

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Husky 350

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Husky 351

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Husky 55R

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Husky 346XP

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kalmos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need to clear 2 acres of 12" trees. Chainsaw budged is about $300 bucks. Here are my narrowed down choices :blob2: :

Hi
If I had to pick one of the above saws it would be the Husky 55R.If you want a saw that should last you the rest of your life,if you maintain it.Take a look at this one.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2042040862 Its probable one of the nicest ones that's left.The design of the 028 was almost bullet proof.I am sure you will be happy with one.
No its not my auction.
Later
Dan

Come on guys. 69 views and only 4 votes. :confused:

What are the specs on 028? What features does it have? :alien:

well i idnt see that option ,but a good 028 will get the job done well.
its my favorite. wood boss 47 cc
super 51cc i think. i prefer the 16 inch bar with either. good luck

Come on guys. :blob2: Don't forget to vote.

55R is starting to lead. Not sure why? Is it the HP? 351 not as good? :alien:

Hi kalmos, the 55R is a well proven saw, you wouldn`t go wrong with it. I threw in a vote for the 351 because I think it`s as good as any of the other saws listed there and it weighs less and has side chain adjusting. Not huge but nice to have. The 351, 2149 Jonsered, and 346 XP use the same bottom end components, the important durability components. This was first pointed out by our friend Mr. Greffard, saw builder extraordinaire. The main differences being open transfer ports on the 351 and 2149, vs closed ports on the 346. Open ports apparently are capable of slightly less performance, but the biggest difference comes from the port timing. The 351 and 2149 have more tractable powerbands which is probably right up your alley. Russ

vote

OK I wil stick my neck out, I know someone is waiting for it.

The more I run the 025, the more I like it, my customers are buying more also. I liken it to the 024 wood boss. Plenty of snot for the homeowner. Seem to be holding up well. Runs .325 chain nicely. For a little more you can get the 029, but at a weight penalty.

I agree with Stihltech. I use my 025 a lot more than my 044. It has held up well to non-professional, homeowner, woodworker type uses. I cut a lot of trees and then mill them into lumber for my woodworking hobby. The 025 has done very well for me with a decent balance of power/weight.

Tom

Has any consideration been given to the quality of dealerships in your area? I like Oldsmobile but I won't buy another because of the local dealership.
Also, in another thread, advice was given to test drive these saws. That's excellent advice. A good dealer will have a demo for you to try out.

I checked out that 28 on Ebay. I thought it's better for the saw if you use it once in a while instead of having it sit. The ebay one says it's been used like only 5 times. Is that good for the saw? Anyone know the specs of the 28 Super (cc, weight, production yr, anti vibration...)?

Dealership research is being done. We are still planning to test drive some of these. I would like for

Keep voting, 1 day left! :D

So, if 351 has durable bottom end components why would someone choose 55R over 351? Or is 55R bottom end the same? :confused:

I talked to a pulper a while back; the guy has used Huskies forever, and has worn out several 55's. He says they are torquier and more forgiving tha the 342/346.
He bought a 351 last summer to add to the collection, and has "about used it up". In his mind it has about 2/3 of the life of a 55, but he did say he liked the light weight and better anti-vibe.

What does that mean to the average consumer? I dunno. You'd probably never wear either one out if you cared for them reasonably well. I have a 2149 Jonsered, same as a 351, and I think it's dandy. It will handle a 20" bar with .325 chain, even in hardwoods.

Buy a new 55R and forget about it. Throw a 16" bar on it with 72LG chain and you will be very happy. I have a 55 and it starts fast and runs fine. Dont take a chance on a used saw when you have the money for a new one. Buy once now and you will be set until 2020.

Back