Pickup dump insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have a dump insert but i do have one of those dump kits that convert a pickup bed into a dump bed. I don't have it on my truck as it needs some overhaulin work and just haven't had time to get to it... Should work very nicely when it's installed. Much better than hand loading and unloading.

Stew

I saw a guy at the gas station with one of those. We either welded or bolted a 1/8" steel plate to the floor of his truck. He said it made it a lot stronger. He said if he wasn't really close to level the bed would twist a lot before he put that plate in. Something you might want to think about.

Scott

According to the website link I posted, the 8' insert is 800 lbs. empty with a GVWR of 6000 lbs (5200 lbs payload). The 6' insert is 700 lbs. empty with a GVWR of 6000 lbs (5300 lbs payload). Northern Tool wants $2499.99 for the 8' insert.

Kevin

Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

there is another option .. I have seen these kits and if you do a search for 'dump bed conversion' you will find links to various companies.. but heres the one on northern hyd. site

http://www.northernhydraulics.net/ws/aboutus3.php?page_id=3638&gclid=CPHUl9GBwJQCFQH0IgodrnQAUQ

turn your stock bed into a dump bed... I know alot of times i thought this would be a neat thing to have.. but I have a dump trailer now... oh well.

That is a really good site with lots of info on it!

Maximum Gross Trailer Weight
Is the most weight that a particular vehicle can safely and reliably haul. To determine if you've reached the Maximum Gross Trailer Weight of a vehicle, take the total loaded trailer weight and add the combined weight of all passengers, cargo and equipment in the tow vehicle.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
Is the maximum recommended weight for a vehicle, including: the weight of the vehicle itself, fuel and other fluids, passengers, and all cargo.
.......Payload.......
Is the combined, maximum allowable weight of cargo, and passengers that the truck is designed to carry. To calculate the payload of a vehicle, take the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and subtract the Curb Weight.
Base Curb Weight
Is the weight of the vehicle including a full tank of fuel and all standard equipment. It does not include passengers, cargo or any optional equipment.

If my truck wasn't a flatbed dump I would have an insert. I won;t have another truck for work that doesn't dump. A dump will spoil you real quick. I have three dump trailers. They work great. We were cutting wood today and filled all three. I had someoe splitting for me. I would drop a trailer by the splitter and go fill another. Drop that and go fill another. I didn;t have to handle the wood to much like this. We got 12ranks (4 cord) cut and split today. I'll try to remember to take some pics tomorrow to take a couple pics. Hoping to get another 10-12 ranks tomorrow. That will give us 45 ranks(15cord) in the last 10 days. Would of had more but it rained 2 days and we couldn't get in to the wood. Anyone who has a chance should buy either an insert or a dump trailer. It is one of the best investments I have made. Not just for wood but for hauling almost anyting.

Scot

Before your rounds are split, what do you load your dump trailers with?

Kevin

Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

Just quoting what the website had on it where the specifications were listed. I don't how they came about that number when the GVWR pertains to the total weight of the vehicle (and the other weights involved). Especially since, in this case, different brand pickups have different GVWR's. I guess if I was serious about getting one, I'd give them a call and ask for an explanation.

Kevin

My buddy has one of those dump inserts. He got it off craigslist for $600. It's in a one ton ford dually and ya really have to watch when loading it with a skidsteer or you will crack the fenders. Real nice for spreading gravel and will lift more than you can load into it.

I would not waste my money on one. A used/new dump trailer is the ticket. A used dump truck would be my second choice.

I'm in the process of building a dump trailer. I borrowed one from a buddy a while back and yes it ruined me. Gotta have one. I have an old dump truck but with the expense of keeping her on the road it just ain't worth it.I'll retire her for off road shale pit use. The darn trailer can set all year for $12.00. No brainer there.

I have a dump insert and I mounted on a flat bed. I got it 15 years ago and it was old then. I have yet to mount it on a truck but plan to this summer as I have a larger dump trailer. The thing will easily dump a cord of wood and have put 3+ ton of gravel in it countless times. One thing I am finding is that the dump insert mounted on the small flat bed trailer was so much easier getting in to tight spots than the new larger dump trailer. Then again the dump insert in the truck will be even easier in tight spots.

Before your rounds are split, what do you load your dump trailers with?

Kevin

I use a skid steer. I made a basket (3 sided front open) that holds a tad more then a rank of wood. Make for loading the big boys easy it sits an inch an a half of the ground. You can just roll the big guy in. When I split them They are belt high or a little lower on the trailer. Easier t put on the splitter like that. While splitting I dump the trailer up and the wood just slides back to me. It works great. I'll post some pics of e trailers in a new thread.

Scott

Back