Pioneer p20 recoil spring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbeD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in need of a pioneer p20 recoil spring and can't seem to find one on ebay. Pioneer part # would be 431663 I believe. I've also seen other brands like herr and that part #353 I think. Was working on the saw when the spring broke. If I can't find a spring I guess I'll look for a used recoil maybe.

Part # 604257 lawnboy (toro) is the same spring if still available

If it's just the end of the spring that broke off (most common) and if you still have the broken end, you can reshape the end of the spring to match it. Just have to get the end of the spring red hot and bend it to shape with needle nose pliers. Has to be red hot while bending and some people quench it in cold water right away to harden it again. I never buy new springs, they always seem to break at the end (high fatigue point) and are very easy to reshape. Hardest part is getting the spring back in the housing.

If it's just the end of the spring that broke off (most common) and if you still have the broken end, you can reshape the end of the spring to match it. Just have to get the end of the spring red hot and bend it to shape with needle nose pliers. Has to be red hot while bending and some people quench it in cold water right away to harden it again. I never buy new springs, they always seem to break at the end (high fatigue point) and are very easy to reshape. Hardest part is getting the spring back in the housing.
It was around 4" of the end that broke off. I'd much rather just replace it. Reworking the one might be for some people but definitely not for me. I hate messing with recoil springs it's never much fun. Thanks for the info though.

Latest posts

Back