Porting... Please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian1234

Barm Foss
Reaction score
Hello all, I am interested in porting my Ms 440, but have absolutely no idea about how to do it.

What is it?
Why does it help?
When should you do it?
Can it be messed up if done wrong?
What tools are needed?

Also, if any of you have any resources that are a step by step tutorial, that would really help. Video, web page, document, etc...

Thanks for all the tips, any where I can get a detailed step by step tutorial? Video or text
I would start with the two stroke tuners hand book. It’s an old book but still good. There is a newer book too not sure what it’s called. In my mind it’s better to start with the theory of the hows and whys before grinding on cylinders. If you want to simply port one saw I would just send it to a pro. If you want to learn porting and saw building that’s good. But like the other fella said start with something cheap. You can get those Chinese knock off saws dirt cheap if you keep your eye out. It is one part science and one part art. And you will break a few eggs befor you get an omelette

"Tinman" does a series of videos on YouTube. Not all of his information is the best, but it's better than alot of others & will give you a good idea of the basics & whats involved.
As far as searching this site goes, google searching arboristsite.com usually turns up better results. The "other" forum will probably have relevant info too

Thanks all.
Good ole pros, they know a thing or two :)
Be sure to evaluate things for yourself before taking what the "pro's" say as gospel (many are not nearly as proficient as they have built themselves up to appear). Additionally, what works well for one saw may be far from ideal for another

Be sure to evaluate things for yourself before taking what the "pro's" say as gospel (many are not nearly as proficient as they have built themselves up to appear). Additionally, what works well for one saw may be far from ideal for another
Well put

My fairly conservative "failsafe" port method is as follows...
Measure squish, drop cylinder to achieve 0.020". Raise intake & exhaust ports by the same amount cylinder was lowered & widen both by about 0.020" either side. Clean up transfer ports just enough to improve flow. Polish exhaust port & match gasket & muffler inlet. Mod muffler to desired extent.
Things to note:
If you want more torque (& compression) don't raise the exhaust so much, if you want more RPM raise it a touch more.
Don't widen the ports any more than the piston allows... you want port edges a minimum of around 0.1" inside piston edges (probably more from ring pins) & they shouldn't be wider than about 2/3 of the cylinder diameter.
Don't polish intake or transfers.
Port edges should be chamfered to prevent rings catching.
Vac & pressure test (in that order) after having the saw apart & be sure to properly tune the saw after any mods!
As othershave said, I wouldn't go grinding on your 440 without first having a go on a few things that are a bit less consequential

Latest posts

Back