Possible Husky conversion here...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun_chopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok you Husqvarna guys, you may jump for joy about this one. I am a Stihl dude, have been since I was a youngin'. I have ran the following saws Stihl 041 Av, Stihl 039, Stihl 036. I was out the other day, and my wife suggested that we stop into a Husqvarna dealer, and now I am almost willing to trade my Stihl chainsaws in for a Husqvarna 372XP. Now Here is my thing, Does anybody run one, and if so how much do you like it? In addition I found a website http://www.powermadeeasy.com Has a...it. Just curious any info would be cool!-Matt

I have a 372xp and it is a great saw. I also just bought a 044. I havent ran it yet, but I suspect it is about equal in performance to the 372. I like the way a stihl feels better than the husky and I have a great stihl dealer. Husky's tend to be a little cheaper, but only if you buy them online. Thats about the only clear cut advantage they have as far as I can see. I paid about 50 more bucks for the 044 than a 372 would go for through alamia.com. Bottom line is go wtih however has the best dealer and feels best to you.

Hi Fun Chopper, I have been running 371s/372s for almost 5 years and generally speaking, love them. It is Husky`s most popular Pro saw. Before the first 371 I had unfavorable experiences with the early 046 but everyone tells me they are improved now. I liked the 044 much better but a 372 cuts closer to the 046 for less weight and cost. I also agree that the dealer can be important. I don`t know about cost issues around the country but I can walk into a local Husky dealer and walk out with a 372 for $80 less than an 044 anyday of the week. There are a few good online dealers should you need to go that way. I believe that Stihl Magnum bought his 385 from Power made easy. I would recommend Commercial Cutters, Madsen`s, or Bailey`s, it has been my experience that you can get follow up service from them if you should need it. Russ

Hi Fun Chopper, you might want to get the 357XP, its one wicked lil saw and you will cut more wood with it then you will a 372, depending on the application. Pound for pound the 357 is faster when you consider its weight and power. You can get to the wood faster with a 357 cause its so small and fast and it wont bog down, even in the biggest wood. If you are production falling of big wood then get the 372 or 2171, 385, 066, but for all around woodticking you cant beat the 357, especially if you simply pipe the muffler.
Gypo

372xp

I've had a 372 for two years and it's my favorite saw. No problems yet. I've modified the muffler and it really woke it up. You won't go wrong with this choice.

Chopper,

Russ is correct I did buy my 385xp from powermadeeasy a few months back,they have extremely good prices on all their saw's and yes they are all NEW not rebuilt.They are very good people to deal with good customer service etc.When I bought my 385 I got it with a 32" bar and chain plus a gallon of bar oil for around 680 bucks or so.I also believe that Ryan just got a 346xp from them a few weeks ago.I would recomenned them to you,I buy alot of my supplies from CCD,and Baileys but there prices are much higher on saw's.

Later Rob

In my opinion, the 372xp is the best saw I've ever had especially after opening up the muffler. Usually run it with a 24. After the muffler mod, I have to wear ear protection, which is good, because it makes me do what I should be doing anyway. A friend of mine just bought a 365 from Alamia.com. The price was the lowest anywhere, got it in 4 days. I've never ran one of those but we'll compare it to the 372 next week when we start clearing some of his 12 acres of big pines and red oaks for a house and 1500' driveway.

I aquired a slighly used 371xp within the last month and think the 371 is a greats saw. 1.)It has much less vibration than the 044. 2.) It has a compression release. 3.) It seems to rev higher than the 044. I have two 044's and had them for years. They are excellant machines with much more low end torque than the 371xp. The 371/372 seem to make most of the power at the very top of their rpm range. Both saws are virtually "Bullit Proof".

Re: my wife suggested that we stop into a Husqvarna dealer...

Originally posted by Newfie
Who cares what saw he gets, how cool is his wife!:cool:

I need to find me a wife like that! :p

I just ran my new 044 for the first time today. The antivibe doe feel differant, but I would not say one vibrates more than the other. As far as power goes. They feel ???? close and the 044 isnt even broke in yet. I would be suprised to see a differance in cutting speed between the two. I suspect if there is one it will be very slight. I will test them both when the 044 is broke in.

Great turnout!

My wife is cool, I met her at the track, we did a run down the drag strip, then she told me "I beat you because you cant tune a carb!" I got her to learn the use of a chainsaw, because when I am cutting wood with the Stihl 036 she wants to play. Now Gypo I need another Stihl like I need to cut my leg off! I want a big saw, and this one sounds like it may be it, thanks for all of the advice, and comments! One thing before I close whats the fine for cutting without a USDA approved muffler?-Matt

What in the heck is a USDA approved muffler and who in the world would ever check such a thing?

Here in Canada we have strict emmision regulations with regards to 2 cycle engines. Having been recently appointed as an emmisions officer, I sculk around in the woods looking for woodticks who insist on using 32:1 with the high speed set so rich that it looks like a Mack truck warming up at 20 below, which is really something like 10:1.
Because I am a nice guy, I never sieze there saws, I let them do that by taking my screwdriver and leaning it out for them to factory specs. Whereupon, the carbon heats up to red and causes scoring to the exhaust side of the piston. Hence, they seize their own saws I dont.
Sergeant Bullwinkle

Back