Possible Husky conversion here...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonsered is currently using a compensating carburetor on the 2159. Isn't this (the Jonsey line) where Electrolux tests the water for "new" technology?

Originally posted by bwalker
The filter can become quit clogged before power output is affected. The intellicarb just adjust the carb accordinly.

The filter is flowing a excess of air when clean and is just right when somewhat dirty.

Besides sending air at high velocity toward a filter is not a good idea in my book although husky seems to have perfected it. Also keep in mind that the husky only seperates the large particles which are not really a problem anyway.

the amounts of air a saw uses at full throttle are amazing. the filter generally becomes clogged all around, what I am saying is that you are essentially reducing power as you are combating a clogged filter instead of trying to keep it clean. Madsens for example says the following:

"A Stihl 044 running at 9500 RPM for one minute takes in the same amount of air an average person breathes in six hours. In a day (six hours of running time), a pro saw takes in as much air as an average person breathes in nearly a hundred days. So if you think an old partially plugged filter really doesn't hurt performance, think again. Filters must be in good condition to handle this volume. Any impediment to air flow reduces performance. Another problem that occurs when air filters start to plug is the engine looks for other sources of air. In this condition, dirt is more likely to be drawn from around the edges of the filter, through the carburetor shaft, or through engine seals. Whenever unfiltered air enters an engine, debris gets into the motor, and damage occurs."

the high velocity is not really a problem of the air injection as it is not directed towards the filter as you can see when you take the top cover off. It essentially creates a positive pressure around the filter case. The intake air is also all from the clean side (starter rope side) opposite of the dirty clutch side where the chips are expelled. This results in a huge increase in the time the filter will get clogged. All size paricles are a problem as they all add up on each other - sharp chain should minimise wood dust anyway right?

Otto, The stihl filter has a outer band that traps almost all particles. Simply removing this and shakeing off when refueling isnt a big deal in my book and results in a clean filter without air injection. Air injection is like stihl makeing there own bars as it is just ammo for the marketing machine. I think you would agree that they are both ???? good saws at the end of the day and its really hitpicking saying one is better than the other.

Ben, like I said before that they are both fine saws and its really a matter of which suits one better, but the filtration system is better in the 372 (air injection in general).

The fact is that the 372 filter fills up slower than that of the stihls hd system. I dont feel that the air injection is a marketing gimmick at all. Its easy to clean the filter sure, but its just one more thing to do when youre refueling (more often with a 044). Not to take anything away from the 044, its a rock solid saw. The 372 is just a little ahead of it in a number of ways.

PS. haven't you noticed that I like knitpicking...:angel:

Like I stated before...... Both saws are great. The Husky I bought has alot of very nice "refinements". You can bet that when
when the patent runs out on the "AirInjection" that Stihl will have something like that on all its equipment. I am a "Died in the Woods" Stihl owner, but was very very impressed with the 371/372 Husky.

Now it comes to running time or durability of the saws over the long run, ease of maintanance, and weather or not your Stihl dealer gives you one of their annual calandars.

Ben I would like to see the results of this test your talking about doing??When do you plan to do it..I might be picking up a 372/or a 044 have'nt decided yet..

Later Rob...

Rob, In a couple of weeks or maybe sooner if I can find some time to cut. I am in the process of buying 160 acres right now and that is eating up alot of my time.

Last edited:
Ben thanks keep me posted on the test when you get a chance to do them..What are you plannung on doing with all that land:rolleyes: I just signed the papers for 100 acre's in Northern NH so I can do a white pine and spruce selective cut lots of good trees there to work with.....

Later Rob...

When I close I am going to get a timber cruise done by my fiance's uncle. He is going to mark all of the good veneer maples. I plan to cut out about half of them to finance the project as well as clean up any dead wood and junk trees while im at it. I am even considering pulp cutting about 30 acres of it as it is almost all mature aspen.

Last edited:
Back