Possible Husky conversion here...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
USFS Nazis

Yes they will fine you quite heavily here in the west ( I thought it was common everywhere!), because of the fire danger that looms over our heads like a dark cloud. Also they make you carry a shovel or a fire extinguisher in most forests here. The BLM is worse, they have been known to seize a saw or two for improper spark suppression on a saw. Now someone mentioned a stock looking muffler mod, I would like more information, as long as the spark arrester screen stays intact.-Matt

they occasionaly check the saws around chapel hill because of the Eco-freaks but i don't know what the fine is:rolleyes: you do have to be very unfortunate to be caught down here though:D

I feel bad for you Ryan no one ever checks that kinda thing up this way at least not that I know of off the top of my head anyways..

Later Rob....

hey funchopper, check out this husky muffler mod done by Ken Dunn here on this site:

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=30604

as you see the spark arrestor screen is intact and the restrictive stock muffler has been opened. Very stock appearing and I doubt a average person could even say that this is not a stock muffler.

PS. Get a 372xp or a 385xp if you can afford it - you will be very pleasantly surprised. 044s and 046s lose to these saws both stock and modified.

Ben, isnt that kinda like the pot calling the kettle black mr Stihl. LOL, and roughly equal depends on your definition of roughly:p

Fish, you shouldn't be making fun of people's learning difficulties!!LOL:D

Ben, I know you have both, so you should get 2 new chains for your bars (Im guessing 20" on both) and time a couple of cuts on around a 18" hardwood log and post the times - you will see around 10%-15% quicker cuts by the 372xp. Another advantage is the 372 anti vibe system. The 372 is also more fuel-efficient than the 044. The 372 has a superior air filtration system with the air injection. etc....both saws are about bulletproof and one should choose the one that fits him/her better. If you want the faster and easier one to work with of these two you will use the 372.

Anti vibe:
372:
Vibrations, front/rear handle 3.1 m/s² / 4.6 m/s²

044:
Vibrations, front/rear handle 5.5m/s² / 6.5 m/s²

Yah Fish, Ryan is absolutely right, it's not his fault he's from Scandanavia. ;)

Otto, Where did you get the vibration #'s. BTW I will be doing the test as soon as I get abit more time on the 044. I got a nice oak trunk I have in mind that will be great for a test. I must say from the limited time I have on the 044 that it will be neck and neck with the 372 in cutting speed. As far as the fuel consumption thing goes I havent noticed it. I disagreee with your assesment of the stihls airfilter system. I have never had any airfilter problems with any of the stihls I have run. The intelli carb works pretty good in that regard. I know you will say the intellicarb is a sales fluff, but when giving some thought as to how it works on the 044-088 saws its pretty apparent stihl engineers did there home work. Power does not drop off sharply as some people have said would happen.

Fish, Spellin's never been my strong point. Add to that a day of overconsumption watching football and it easy to see that I am a little short on spelling skills.

Cool Ben, that sounds like a good test. I got the vib figures for the 044 from the chainsaw database here.

football huh?! Has anyone heard of BOOMER SOONER?!!!:blob2:

You will need winzip to unzip the file as this site wont allow pdf files for some reason. I just checked it and it works from here.

Originally posted by bwalker
I know you will say the intellicarb is a sales fluff, but when giving some thought as to how it works on the 044-088 saws its pretty apparent stihl engineers did there home work. Power does not drop off sharply as some people have said would happen.

1. The airfilter does clog up quicker on the stihl. You know the function of the fan flywheel in the air injection that prefilters the air.

2. Intellicarb - There is only so much air that goes through a clogged airfilter - the intellicarb compensates for this by reducing fuel output. What does this lead to? You running a 70cc saw with a performance of a smaller one due to less air (intellicarb compensates --> less fuel) = less combustion= less power. Yes the saw runs responsively, but with reduced power. As you know, if you dont get enough air you dont get enough power (unless stihl has a built in airleak:cool: to open when filter is clogged.). The intellicarb also encourages poor filter maintenance.

Intellicarb - There is only so much air that goes through a clogged airfilter - the intellicarb compensates for this by reducing fuel output. What does this lead to?
Think about this for a minute Otto. You are makeing the assumption that the motor needs all the filter area the filter has. In reality It probaly only needs a fraction of it. The filter can become quit clogged before power output is affected. The intellicarb just adjust the carb accordinly. I have seen something simular to this in a snowmobile with K&N filters. The filters flowed way more air than stock, but didnt effect power output at all. In fact the only effect they had is to increase fuel consumption as the jetting had to adjusted a large amount richer. This could be why the stihl eats more fuel. The filter is flowing a excess of air when clean and is just right when somewhat dirty. Besides sending air at high velocity toward a filter is not a good idea in my book although husky seems to have perfected it. Also keep in mind that the husky only seperates the large particles which are not really a problem anyway. I could be full of ????e on this, but I have a feeling Stihl has something up its sleeve with the huge filter and intellicarb setup. BTW did you know husky is going to put something simular to the intellicarb on some models?

Back