Hand sharpening off the saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Cigar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I generally try to sharpen my chains on the saw. Sometimes I don't have time and put on a new chain. Then I wind up with a half dozen chains off the saw that need a medium sharpening. Is there a product or a home made jig that would fit in a vice to hold the chain and be able to advance it and flip it around?
Thanks
Bruce

I generally try to sharpen my chains on the saw. Sometimes I don't have time and put on a new chain. Then I wind up with a half dozen chains off the saw that need a medium sharpening. Is there a product or a home made jig that would fit in a vice to hold the chain and be able to advance it and flip it around?
Thanks
Bruce
I have a chain vise , I purchased from another forum, it works great, and really good at square filing, with end clamp feature, IMG_3764.jpeg

Like you prefer to sharpen on the bar but...
I keep a scruffy old Carlton bar of the right length. Put the chain on the bar and put the bar into my vice. then I take a wood working clamp with rubber covers on the jaws and pull the bottom of the chain down to the worktop below the vice. This tensions the chain. I can sharpen half a dozen teeth before releasing the clamp and moving it on. Turn the bar around for the other side. Didn't cost me anything as I've got plenty of old scruffy bars. Just my thoughts....

now I have 4 grinders and never looked back.
Fine history, 'old guy'...( I will reach your category, **85**, this coming Sunday...) ...Which grinders do you find most consist in use?-...

I've been using a HF ( the Plastic Disaster...) for 3 years & believe I've uncovered all of its characteristic faults. But the one you cannot correct is angle...
(Don't mean to hijack your thread Big Cigar, but wish to add to it...correct me if I'm out of line, please...)

Beat!

Fine history, 'old guy'...( I will reach your category, **85**, this coming Sunday...) ...Which grinders do you find most consist in use?-...

I've been using a HF ( the Plastic Disaster...) for 3 years & believe I've uncovered all of its characteristic faults. But the one you cannot correct is angle...
(Don't mean to hijack your thread Big Cigar, but wish to add to it...correct me if I'm out of line, please...)

Beat!
I use the Oregon 511s for round grinding when I'm not grinding square with the Simington.
I actually dislike fileing.

I use the Oregon 511s
Thanks @old guy ! I've been watching the 511's... I always have several ready-to-go chains with me doing restoration in Preserves. Seems to me, changing a chain in the field - and a quick clean - is more timely then setting up & sharpening in the field.

I hope you get what you need @BIG cigar !

Back