Poulan 2150 ready for bar/chain replacement. Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golem

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm needing (after 6 years) to replace my chain and very worn bar. As I only do occasional light/medium duty yard clean-up (6"-10" trees on average) with it I find it hard to justify a complete saw replacement.

From some cursory research it seems there may be better options than using Poulan branded replacement parts and was hoping to solicit opinions on an alternate or two. For about $35 I can refresh it with factory parts, would be nice not to exceed this by too much...but I'm flexible. I also wonder if it might not be a good idea to step down to a 14" bar/chain from the now-installed 16" as this saw isn't a real powerhouse to begin with.

Regards,
Tj

Try these.

Oregon recommends their #105699 bar and chain combo as a 14" replacement. (consists of 91VG chain an 91 Pro bar) or for the 16" version it would be #105700.

Al :cheers:

I bought a decent bar (Oregon) and a couple of chains (Woodsman pro) from Baileys for my Wildthing when it was time to replace and it made it a whole different saw. Fair prices and good service.

LAZER

Thanks for the replies...and links! I've no problem with the Bailey's patronage as this forum has been so helpful on the few occasions I've needed it. :)

Couple of quick follow-ups...
I was leaning towards replacing the clutch as the saw has been stalled a fair number of times over the years. Can I assume the spur sprocket contains the clutch assy?

Since most of the replies mention 14" bar/chain is it consensus that I'm better off (with this saw) stepping down from the originally installed 16"er? Just did a bit more research and come across THIS THREAD regarding bar length. Seems this little 21cc would be better off with an 8" bar/chain. LOL...probably right. Guess 14" is best bet for a usable saw.

Shamefully I have to ask...The 14" ArborMax combo at $14.95, is this as good a deal as it looks or just a very low price with sacrifice (safety, performance, etc.).

Regards,
Tj

Last edited:
The clutch is a whole separate entity from the spur sprocket. I doubt if Bailey's would carry a clutch for your saw. It wouldn't hurt to ask if you feel so inclined to do so. You would probably be OK by sanding the clutch shoes with some extra fine sandpaper to break the glaze off of them.

I've got about 8 cords on that same bar in 16" length on my 346 w/o and issue. I just wouldn't spend 30 - 40 dollars on a bar/chain combo for a 100 dollar saw.
If your just trimming trees etc... around the yard...I would think this bar/chain should last you fine.
Just my thoughts.

The clutch is a whole separate entity from the spur sprocket. I doubt if Bailey's would carry a clutch for your saw. It wouldn't hurt to ask if you feel so inclined to do so. You would probably be OK by sanding the clutch shoes with some extra fine sandpaper to break the glaze off of them.

i happen to have them clutchs as well as OEM Poulan bar and chains for the 2150

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional replies guys!

I believe bowtechmadman hit the nail on the head. Having only paid (if I recall correctly) $79 for this saw new any further investments in it should be tempered. Think I'll go with the $25 overhaul (bar/chain/spur) and the suggestion to scuff the shoes as they don't show any sign of abnormal wear. Should make it into next year then I'll contemplate owning a "real" saw.

lawnmowertech37, thanks for the link. Good prices and since I do have quite a few legacy gas-powered tools it'll be nice to have a one-stop shop for returning them all to tip top tune.

Best Regards!
Tj

Take the $25+ in parts you'll spend and the sell your saw on ebay and get a new saw now if you can afford it. The Husky 350 was the saw to get, but I think they quit making them. I would look at the weight. If two saws are about equal weight and close in price get the bigger cc saw.

I've got a stihl 028 that's all the saw I need. I think I'll sell it and a old Poulan 3400 I got on ebay and buy me a new Husky 353 or Jonsered. I almost bought a Homedepot Makita 64cc for $250 this weekend, but talked myself out of it because I would never use it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies...and links! I've no problem with the Bailey's patronage as this forum has been so helpful on the few occasions I've needed it. :)

I was leaning towards replacing the clutch as the saw has been stalled a fair number of times over the years. Can I assume the spur sprocket contains the clutch assy?

Since most of the replies mention 14" bar/chain is it consensus that I'm better off (with this saw) stepping down from the originally installed 16"er? Just did a bit more research and come across THIS THREAD regarding bar length. Seems this little 21cc would be better off with an 8" bar/chain. LOL...probably right. Guess 14" is best bet for a usable saw.

Shamefully I have to ask...The 14" ArborMax combo at $14.95, is this as good a deal as it looks or just a very low price with sacrifice (safety, performance, etc.).

Regards,
Tj

I have a worn-out Partner version of the 2150 - 14" bar is more than enough for its power.........

It took about 3 years to wear it out, and most of the heavier work was left to the ol' 621.....

Last edited:

Regards,
Tj

It isn't 21cc, the Poulan 2150 is 34cc and is fine with a 14" bar, better with a 12".

**edit**

Check out this link for some info about your saw:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...fbd7dabdd4922f0a88256d62000f300f?OpenDocument

Last edited:
You guys caught my slip-up. It is 2.1ci (not 21cc). Still, that does add a bit brighter lining to the day. ;)

I used to fly radio controlled gas powered airplanes and guess I'm still in CC mode because of. I now fly electric exclusively trading mixture needles and dirty carbs for volts and amps hence my brain fade.

Regards,
Tj

You guys caught my slip-up. It is 2.1ci (not 21cc). Still, that does add a bit brighter lining to the day. ;)

I used to fly radio controlled gas powered airplanes and guess I'm still in CC mode because of. I now fly electric exclusively trading mixture needles and dirty carbs for volts and amps hence my brain fade.

Regards,
Tj

No problem, we all make mistakes. Enjoy the saw, my Poulans cut wood pretty well and I like them. I'm still hoping to upgrade to a better saw eventually, but I'm not in a big hurry.

Just figured I owed a follow-up.

Decided to go with the suggested Bailey's $15 14" ArborMAX bar & chain combo. Also replaced the spur as the sprocket showed moderate wear. Now all I can say is WOW! Not being around other saws I had no way to gauge the performance decline of mine over the years. No longer does it require I unsafely muscle through a cut, saw weight alone is enough to butter its way through a 10-12"er in about 5 seconds...more than quick enough for a home-user like myself.

Thanks again for all the very useful replies!

Cheers!

Back