Poulan 245A Bow Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Nate. BTW, the only parts repainted on this saw are the handle bracket, clutch cover, and bow. The main saw is all original, including the ignition decal on the fan housing.

If that's the case, it must have been somewhat of a garage queen.

Has Nik infected you with the Poulan bug? LOL

I have been aware of them for years, never used one.
Are they mainly used for bucking on ground? An old logger told
me years ago they were dangerous for other purposes.

From what little I have read about these bars, you brace the bottom dog
on log and use the lower part of bar to cut logs on ground. I use narrow
low kickback B & C for cleanup, but use pro type B & C for big stuff, depends
on the use.

Bow technique:

<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=ed521c918f&photo_id=3963859519" height="540" width="720"></embed></object>

Mark, did these have that guard?

Like Thomas said they were probably a option, but I don't have one on mine either. I'm not sure I have seen one on a 245 or 306.

Most other saws dont have that partial guard on the clutch cover but I guess a extra guard would probably be a good idea.

The bow that I ended up with for my 361 has a super duper top guard on it. :)

attachment.php

My 245A bow without a bolt on upper guard.

attachment.php

You'll be like Sheila and me this morning too!

2:00am and we are repairing and reinstalling a recoil spring in one of those old junks.
Yes it takes 3 and 1/2 hands..........at least for me.

BTW,
It is a beech to drill a hole in one of those springs!:dizzy:

"Poor people got poor ways"!

Mike

top guard & bottom dog

I checked the hardcopy 4400/4900/5400 owner's manual that came with
my slightly NOS 4200 back then: on the cover page, there is a top
guard maybe 12" long & a bottom dog on lower part of bar past 2/3 of bar
length.
Bow saws have a bad rep if used improperly, think they were mainly used
for pulpwood cutting to minimize pinching, thought about buying one years
ago for bucking firewood, an old time logger who had used mules
for skidders & 2 man Mercury's for falling advised against it.

I had to redeem myself after letting that near mint 4000 go to Hawaii.

I know the feeling brother. . . After working on a saw or just having it in my possession, it's hard to let go. . . They're almost like pets. LOL

I have a lot of "pets" that must find new homes very soon. . . Very soon.

I'm still waiting for my 3700 Bow Saw to arrive. Been 4 weeks but am told it should be here next week. It has the hand guard on the top but I understand you can mount it on top or bottom.

Real nice job on the 245 Bow Saw Brad! :clap:
What color paint is that? Your right, you can see a difference, but if you were to paint an entire saw with it, I think it would be tough to tell it wasn't Poulan green.

:cheers:
Gregg,

The paint is custom mixed enamel from Sherwin Williams. They tried their scanner machine and that failed. She then found a color swatch that matched perfectly. Unfortunately, they don't make the base required in the enamel I needed. So she tried with a different base and this was truely custom matched. It bugs me it's not closer, but it's not too bad I guess. This only cost me $15 and didn't want to spend what automotive paint would cost.

Man, that saw looks great! I don't have a 245, but I do have a 306. One of my favorite saws to cut with. They are VERY dependable.

Back