Poulan 330 oozing oil - question about bar attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loosanarrow

Reaction score
Im new here, first post. I have been tinkering with fixing up saws for a few years, and I just went through a PP330 I picked up cheap. Got it running yesterday, and it seems to ooze oil around the bar between the sprocket cover and the bar on top, and maybe all over around the bar under the bolts.
This saw has no thin metal plates or anything between the bar and saw or between the bar and sprocket cover - that is to say the bar makes direct contact with the saw case on one side and the sprocket cover on the other side. Is that the way they come from the factory? I also have a PP415 that I bought new in the early 1990’s and I seem to recall that it has at least one thin stainless steel plate that goes between the bar and the saw case.
Anyway, wondering if anyone can help me out and tell me if there should be some plates on either side of the bar or if the saw is designed so the bar directly contacts the saw in both sides. If it does make direct contact, what can I do get the oil to stay in the groove where it belongs?
Thanks for any help!

The IPL for those saws do not show any plates for them. On plastic bar pads it is not uncommon for them to become bowed outward from the over tightening of the bar nuts, once the pas is not flat it will not let the bar to fit tight enough to keep the bar oil trapped in the feed slot soit drools out all around the bar at the mount area.

Thanks for the info! Is there a fix?
Remove the bar studs and flatten the mount area but most times it will distort again next time the bar nuts are tightened. Unfortunately those saws were mostly designed to be discarded when needing repair. Is the bar pad area made of metal or plastic?Check the bar pad for being flat before attempting any remedial work.

It is metal on the case side, but the clutch cover is plastic. I considered maybe cleaning it up and trying to make a thin gasket with a sheet of gasket material. The saw seems too well built and strong running to discard. I put new crank seals in it and all new lines, and a carb kit. It runs strong but I would sure like to have that oil stay in the bar groove.

It is metal on the case side, but the clutch cover is plastic. I considered maybe cleaning it up and trying to make a thin gasket with a sheet of gasket material. The saw seems too well built and strong running to discard. I put new crank seals in it and all new lines, and a carb kit. It runs strong but I would sure like to have that oil stay in the bar groove.

Those saws take a K041 bar mount and it has no oil holes as it oils the bar through the adjuster holes which are open to the bottom of the bar rail. Is this the bar you have? I have a hunch someone swapped the wrong bar on it.

Remove the bar studs and flatten the mount area but most times it will distort again next time the bar nuts are tightened. Unfortunately those saws were mostly designed to be discarded when needing repair. Is the bar pad area made of metal or plastic?Check the bar pad for being flat before attempting any remedial work.

You got this one confused Jerry. The PP 330 is one of the older all mag case saws.

Oh it is oiling the chain - like a lot of oil getting to the chain, just leaking oil around the bar also. It has the original 22” bar near as I can tell. Guy I got it from was original owner and said he used it just for cleaning up after a storm when he originally bought it, and just a few times here and there after that. Paint looks new on the bar. I did notice that it looked like the oil went through whichever adjustment hole is on top, and the bottom hole has the adjuster stud in it.

Back