Tree Trimming Suggestions Wanted!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not_A_Tree_Guy

Reaction score
Could someone give me a visual suggestion on how I should have this tree trimmed up? I'm also not sure what it is! Thank you!

Location is Southern Texas

Thanks!
1729257375194.png

I have a tree like that. It was part of a fence row. I trimmed that tree up and made a nice little shade tree out of it. Trim it up, you’ll enjoy it much more.

looks like an oak to me, but if you want to know download an app called PictureThis, go take a picture of the leaves and it will tell you what tree you've got
i think if you cut the limbs high enough for you to walk under the tree you would not hurt it
Make the first cut up from the bottom several inches away from the trunk, make the next cut down from the top of the branch to meet the first cut, then make the final cut down from the top, cutting just outside the branch's "collar" - the swollen part at the base of the branch.

It'll be easier to see with leaves off, which is a good reason to prune in winter... The goal now should be to encourage a single strong leader and subordinate branches. There's a lot going on the right side of the tree that probably would be better with some pruning. I'd also look to raise lower branches a bit, both for clearance and appearance.

Ed Gilman has some really good pruning guides. Start here: https://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/structural-pruning-flash.shtml

Latest posts

Back