Question about cutting a leaning tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubby

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My SIL wants to eventually have this ash tree cut down...is pretty much dead. But...she asked me if I wanted to cut the left-most part of it, myself (I burn wood...) then have a tree company finish the job.

There is plenty of room to fell the tree.

This might save her a few bucks, and I don't have the experience or wherewithal to attempt the rest of it, as well as dealing with all the branches/cleanup.

My question is...because of the lean of that segment, do I have to cut a notch, or just start at the topside and cut downward? Any chance of a barber chair mishap?

1726934588957.jpeg
1726934609518.jpeg
1726934631508.jpeg

FYI...That clump/bush (stump) between the tree and the shed is that tree's twin, which was cut down about 3 years ago. It measured 48" at the base.

Ideas? Thank you.

Rich

Notch then a borecut to the back?

Watch your topside if it has any EAB killed dead stuff upstairs.
Well..I didn't know what a borecut was, so I watched several videos demonstrating them.

Thea seems to be exactly what I should do. It'll be my first one, obviously.

Lots of EAB damage, here...

Thank you.

Rich

I cut all that bush out and kill that stump. And cut the left side of that tree. The branches leaning towards the shed I’d take a good look at. Might have to be sectioned.
Things will look way better after you clean that bush out.

I cut all that bush out and kill that stump. And cut the left side of that tree. The branches leaning towards the shed I’d take a good look at. Might have to be sectioned.
Things will look way better after you clean that bush out.
Sounds good...trimming the bush and cutting the left side. But..that's all that I'm going to attempt.

She will hire a professional for the rest ..

Thank you.

Rich

This sounds like you shouldn’t be cutting any trees down. It’s not going save her any money when you hurt yourself. How long have you been burning wood?
Well, I've cut down over 100 trees while clearing our property in NH.

Is the left side of that tree so dangerous to cut that with some advice, I shouldn't do it?
It would be one thing if I just went ahead and did it on a whim, but that's why I'm asking for some guidance.

We've been burning wood since our house was built in 1985.

Rich

It's kind of scary to see someone who has what appears to very limited tree felling experience come here and get advice to make an advanced cut on what looks like a high risk tree felling.

At a minimum the questioner should practice the bore cut on a half dozen or more non leaning trees to get the technique down.

And then there is the question of what other risk factors this tree presents that the questioner may be overlooking due to inexperience.

It's kind of scary to see someone who has what appears to very limited tree felling experience come here and get advice to make an advanced cut on what looks like a high risk tree felling.

At a minimum the questioner should practice the bore cut on a half dozen or more non leaning trees to get the technique down.

And then there is the question of what other risk factors this tree presents that the questioner may be overlooking due to inexperience.

Fair enough...

I'm the type of guy that will try things, but if I am convinced that it's beyond logic for me to attempt, I will not attempt it. I don't want to die, yet...

I will definitely practice the bore cut on some safer trees, just because I want to learn this. I understand the bar approach angle thing. I've been a metal fabricator my whole life, and using hand grinders with cutting wheels has the same concept....kickbacks/disc shattering can occur.

The responses here are sinking in, and I will most likely not attempt this.

Thank you for your reply.

Rich

Fair enough...

I'm the type of guy that will try things, but if I am convinced that it's beyond logic for me to attempt, I will not attempt it. I don't want to die, yet...

I will definitely practice the bore cut on some safer trees, just because I want to learn this. I understand the bar approach angle thing. I've been a metal fabricator my whole life, and using hand grinders with cutting wheels has the same concept....kickbacks/disc shattering can occur.

The responses here are sinking in, and I will most likely not attempt this.

Thank you for your reply.

Rich

You have the right mindset!

After you clean that stump up I’d paint some killer on it so it doesn’t
sprout again.
It's possible that the 2 trunks share root systems. Not something an inexperienced "arborist" would easily be able to tell.
If you paint the one stump you may kill the other also.

It's possible that the 2 trunks share root systems. Not something an inexperienced "arborist" would easily be able to tell.
If you paint the one stump you may kill the other also.

True.

And even if they are separate trees they most certainly would have root grafter together over the years.

Well, I've cut down over 100 trees while clearing our property in NH.

Is the left side of that tree so dangerous to cut that with some advice, I shouldn't do it?
It would be one thing if I just went ahead and did it on a whim, but that's why I'm asking for some guidance.

We've been burning wood since our house was built in 1985.

Rich
Not sure how someone that has dropped 100 trees comes up with cutting downward into that stem. Bore cutting isn’t a technique for an amateur either. I’d hire that job out if I were you.

This sounds like you shouldn’t be cutting any trees down. It’s not going save her any money when you hurt yourself. How long have you been burning wood?
THIS. Ask yourself… “is the risk worth your life?”

One of my mentors used to say as we crossed the street from the parking lot to the site… “Crossing this street is the most dangerous thing that’s gonna happen today. Everybody got it?”

If you aren’t trained. If you have questions.. if you even have a funny feeling in your gut… stop what you’re doing and re-assess. If you don’t know what a bore cut is then absolutely you’re being very smart to let someone else handle this problem for you. It’s wise of you.

4 foot diameter bigass tree like that… well done asking some questions and getting some answers. But the answer here is “you’re right—let someone else do it.”

Well done. It’s not worth your life. Or losing a limb. Or having to go to the hospital or whatever.

This is not the tree to learn on for sure. But half a dozen practice note cuts WON’T do it. Even if someone masters the bore cut this job has way too many factors for someone without experience felling trees like these.

He’s not by himself 500 miles from the nearest pro in Alaska. He’s not on mars. Someone can do this job for him.

Even if he were a young guy that wanted to make this his vocation he shouldn’t be coming at this problem by himself. We’re talking about metric *tons* wood and a bunch of razors whizzing around at >12,000 RPM… not for the inexperienced, right?

Latest posts

Back