Questions about this tulip poplar that I just transplanted.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carg618

Reaction score
Just transplanted tulip poplar. Are these shoots suckers? And will the tree grow normal? What should I trim off? And how often should I give water. I live in connecticut

943FE20B-557A-4A1C-8631-DD0BF02FCB47.jpeg

F19D4D01-A15C-4B80-B2D9-C2BA285CB05E.jpeg319B2D32-CDDD-4627-BB54-F7C16C2C4B72.jpeg

It looks like tulip poplar may have been cut down with a lawn mower and those are indeed suckers.

I'd select the largest one to the left in your first photo.

Multi stem tulip poplars develop included bark which is not a good thing so I'd go for a single stem.

Yours ought to do fine.

It looks like tulip poplar may have been cut down with a lawn mower and those are indeed suckers.

I'd select the largest one to the left in your first photo.

Multi stem tulip poplars develop included bark which is not a good thing so I'd go for a single stem.

Yours ought to do fine.
Thank you!

Should I wait to get rid of the smaller suckers since I just transplanted it? Also, there’s a bunch of what look like dead sucker stems coming from the trunk. Should I leave them be or should I trim them as close to the trunk as I can?

I'd do it now and the dead suckers too.
Thank you for your help. I just want to make sure I’m not going to stress it out more being that I just transplanted it. A couple people told me to wait for the tree to get settled in and cut them in the spring to reduce transplant shock.

Additionally, would leaving the center sucker be the best since it’s in the center or should I still leave the left one since it’s the biggest and seems to be the most directed to the biggest root.

I have had bad luck with trees dying after transplanted so I am probably more freaked out than I need to be. Should I water this tree everyday?

I would keep the biggest stem and plant it so it is vertical although it likely makes little difference. Only keep the soil moist, is looks a bit too wet in the one photo.

It's going to send up more 'suckers' that are going to need to be removed in the years to come.

You can see where the root mass turns into trunk and make sure the change point is at ground level making sure to account for soil settlement. Even a small mound would be good. Any roots that are damaged prune off near the damage so it is a clean wound.

Don't overwater.

I would keep the biggest stem and plant it so it is vertical although it likely makes little difference. Only keep the soil moist, is looks a bit too wet in the one photo.

It's going to send up more 'suckers' that are going to need to be removed in the years to come.

You can see where the root mass turns into trunk and make sure the change point is at ground level making sure to account for soil settlement. Even a small mound would be good. Any roots that are damaged prune off near the damage so it is a clean wound.

Don't overwater.
Ok. So if I make the dirt a bit higher to the point where the root turns into the stem, this should reduce suckers to come up?

Would you water everyday?

I also transplanted a few eastern white pine trees. I really want all of them to live. Should I water them every night for a few weeks? And I assume maybe a gallon of water each just so they are moist?

Only water when it is dry. Overwatering kills.

You are going to be pruning shoots for years and may see quite a few next spring. Get them when they are small.

Planting on a very small mound, maybe two or three inches is best.

It will not reduce suckers though and you may see dozens that you will want to remove over the years.

Latest posts

Back