Don't use starter fluid?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We tell people to never use starter fluid to get their saw going because it is not a lubricant, will remove protective oil films and could lead to engine damage but is there actually any evidence to support this or is it mainly intuition and mythology? 4-stroke engines with pressure oiling still rely on residual oil film to protect moving parts until the engine is running, yet MANY of them in things like wood splitters, generators, and any engine that is so cold it will barely turn over, are routinely started with a spray can and don't appear to suffer from it. Many people that I advise not to use the stuff (know nothing homeowners) claim they have been using it for years and I have yet to see any damage that could be blamed on it.

I don't think I have used starting fluid (ether) on a gasoline engine in 20? 30? years?
If the fuel and enrichment system (choke, etc) are up to "snuff" it usually doesn't take much to get them to start up.
if it is that blasted COLD out, I am not cutting, so the saws don't really count.
Splitter usually hangs out in the shop, starts easily.
Other small engines, generators, etc, I can usually get them to start.

cars and trucks? Same deal. I drive junk, carbureted stuff. One time, the jeepster refused to start at -18, but the brown dodge with a 440 would start. Go figure...

35 years ago, we got off work, it was really really cold. like -25 or something. The Pontiac gave me one try. Next was to find Ronnie, with jumper cables off his old Ford.

back to original question. Ether in a 2 cycle chainsaw... Nope, no point in it. Gasoline vaporizes easily enough, If it won't bang on mix, there are other problems somewhere that a shot of ether isn't going to help with

We tell people to never use starter fluid to get their saw going because it is not a lubricant, will remove protective oil films and could lead to engine damage but is there actually any evidence to support this or is it mainly intuition and mythology? 4-stroke engines with pressure oiling still rely on residual oil film to protect moving parts until the engine is running, yet MANY of them in things like wood splitters, generators, and any engine that is so cold it will barely turn over, are routinely started with a spray can and don't appear to suffer from it. Many people that I advise not to use the stuff (know nothing homeowners) claim they have been using it for years and I have yet to see any damage that could be blamed on it.
In a two cycle you really don't need starter fluid.
Four cycles and diesels in very cold weather are a different story.

Back