Reduced weight options for 36-inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bar weight and balance has more to do with how heavy a saw feels as I found out today. I went to Madsens with Medic5050 and we lifted a new 372 with a 32" bar and a 390 with a 32" bar and the 390 felt much lighter to both of us. That surprised me but the 372 was very nose heavy with that bar where the 390 wasn't. With that length bar I'm sure I would feel less tired with the bigger saw.
Yep depends on the saw, they all balance different, put that light bar on that 372, and you will fall in love. Steve remember what Brad said earlier, you can sawp the tip, and make that bar .404. And J.J good info on the 3/8 compared to .404 seen that to be true, and my logging friends here run all .404 too.

Hey, can someone give me the part number for the ES Light 32" .063.

I've been searching for an hour and man... you'd think there was a chart for all the bar numbers??? All i can ever find is the "recommended" chart thats in the catalog.

thanks
jeff

Dang I searched with google and found it in a post I made 8 months ago.

3003 000 2046 32", 3/8, .063

3003 000 2246 32", 3/8, .050

I have been looking into bringing some Sugi's over and in my research I have come up with these numbers: (And yes, the company makes more than just Stihl mount bars)

.63 .404 Husky (34") VF2T-3S85-A (40") VF2T-3S100-A --These are standard bars
.63 .404 Stihl (36") SG6T-3S90-A --Standard
.63 3/8 Stihl (36") SV3U-3Q90-A -- Light Weight

Don't know that anyone in the US has them, but a part number search might help you out.

The 36'' ES Light bar helps heaps with balance on a 660,not as nose heavy.
3/8 .063

attachment.php

Geeze mate, I don't know. That saw looks totally nose heavy to me, the bar is pointing straight down! Maybe it's because you've got the bar on upside down?

I've got the 36"ES lite on a 660, and the 28" ES lite on a 441cm. They are awesome bars. The flex is minimal, and they are durable. I run a full time tree service and the bars are in daily use. The rails are usual stihl quality - even after months of use I've only had to give them a very light dressing once. They don't bend easily. Not long after putting the 28" on a 441 I was doing a crane job removing some big ass pines and one of the picks didn't go so good. The crane was too far back, and while making the back cut it closed up on the bar. Not such a big deal, gave the guy the signal to jib in, but then the hinge half side snapped. Had a fair bit on the stick, 2 and a half tonne or something. Guy couldn't seem to brake it free, and it was pinched too much for me to cut. Dropped down the spar a couple feet while he spent the next 5 minutes mashing and grinding and squashing the crap out of that bar, trying to break the log free. Thought for sure the bar would be toast from all the torture, but the paint wasn't even marked. I'll confess to regularly using the 36" as a lever to snap out big face cuts.

The weight isn't so much the issue, it's the balance. If that saw is nose heavy, you're going to have to use your forearms to keep it on the level and that gets tiring fast. For me, it's well worth it. I imagine that for average home/part time use you'd be getting 15-20 years plus out of a bar like this. For full time free service use I'm thinking I'll get 2-3 years. Full time logging use is a whole other story ;-)

Shaun

Im with you Shaun
I run a 28'' Light on a ported 441CM-R and a 36''Light on a ported 660 and i cant folt them in anyway,there not cheap for us down here but a bit extra at the start pays for itself at the end of the day.:)

on the oregon bars ,i have a .050 and a.063 28 inch for my 440 ,the .063 has less flex ,and the wider groove for chain oils better to boot

Latest posts

Back