Rigging line lighter than 1/2"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone mention Black Widow? I think for what your are trying to do you can do with a 8 and some loop runners. Tie off the rig line where you are at and hook the loop runner in between the 8 and the rig line tie off point. when the branch hits the ground you unhook from the 8 and pull the end of the rig line through and back to you. It would be nice to have lighter rope considering its important to hang a bucket for the tail end of the rig line and you sure better pay attention to your climb line end. I usually drape it over a limb out of the way with the tail off the ground.
Treeco showed me how to do this with a porty instead of the 8 and since then I have hucked off MEGA limbs with nary a ground man below me and it sure is fun! Just if you climb with rubber gloves you don't want to use those to lower nope. In fact those gloves can be very dangerous for lowering.
If you have a tree you have to work through instead of just running up and cutting a few then its good to set other climb lines and you will find them useful for lowering too. Or set more rig lines and use them for secondary climb and lowering lines.
I have pruned big oaks and such alone setting all my ropes. I would do one section and completely clog it up then move to another using fresh ropes and DZ. Maybe 4 or five ropes wishing for a 6th.
Sometimes setting a zipline makes it easy though you have to climb it a few times it works with some trees. One was so easy I went up, put three on the line, jumped down and yanked it over like you would never think you need a crew to do this.

I am liking this figure 8 idea, can see it perfectly. Thanks for this one Dan.

Latest posts

Back