Rigging line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Of Eden

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a question. I currently climb on ArborPlex trash. It was an accidental purchase a couple months ago. However, I'm not 100% willing to toss it in the circular file. I'm debating on using it for a light rigging line. I currently use a 5/8" pulleys, would the arborplex run through it ok? Keep in mind, only light rigging, nothing heavy, I just can't get my head around throwing this away.

God bless.

Jeff

It should make a fine rigging line for light stuff. I run my 5/8 bull line through my 3/4 block with no problems whatsoever. Wouldn't hesitate to run 1/2 through it if I had a mind to. I usually natural crotch on light stuff though or use a loop runner with a biner as a false crotch. I don't see the point in breaking out a heavy block and sling for light rigging.

As far as I know you can run any smaller diameter line through a larger block. Just can't do it the other way around.

Another option would be to save the arborplex for climbing in dirty conditions if it is in good shape. I use a hank of safety blue to climb on when I am in a muddy area or something like that and save my poison hivee.

Its okay to run a smaller rope through a larger block, just not bigger rope through smaller block... that would flatten or mush the rope and damage the fibers. But I do like MD's idea about spare rope for dirty nasty trees.

I run that stuff in rescue pulleys and blocks all the time. Nice light-duty line. You will be fine.

It should make a fine rigging line for light stuff. I run my 5/8 bull line through my 3/4 block with no problems whatsoever. Wouldn't hesitate to run 1/2 through it if I had a mind to. I usually natural crotch on light stuff though or use a loop runner with a biner as a false crotch. I don't see the point in breaking out a heavy block and sling for light rigging.

As far as I know you can run any smaller diameter line through a larger block. Just can't do it the other way around.

I didn't really think about it too much, I never use a block for small stuff. lol How's the rope hold up with such a tight bend of a biner? Seems kinda sharp to me.

I don't like the way the rope feels, or gets picked in my ascenders. I'd rather not climb in it, but saving it sounds like a good idea for nasty trees. Seems like I've had a few lately too. Thanks MD.

I ordered it in a hurry wolf, based on those 2 points alone. lol I'm kinda sorry I did too.

Thanks,

Jeff

I've climbed on Arborplex before but it's been years. Not bad for a cheap climbing line. As far as lowering with biners, I would never do so with heavy loads but for something light I have no problems doing so. You can hook up a micro pulley if it makes you feel better but I have never had any issue with a biner. I keep a loop runner with a biner girth hitched to it on my saddle. It's quicker than chain lightening when you need to girth hitch it to a small limb or leader and use it to hang something with.

If you like to use ascenders check out the Poison Ivy or I think the other version of the same rope is called blue moon. Runs great through my ascenders, doesn't stretch so much that it gives that bouncy feel, knots great, has just the right amount of give and runs really smooth with an I2I or split tail. Great stuff. I'm on my second PI line.

I didn't really think about it too much, I never use a block for small stuff. lol How's the rope hold up with such a tight bend of a biner? Seems kinda sharp to me.

I don't like the way the rope feels, or gets picked in my ascenders. I'd rather not climb in it, but saving it sounds like a good idea for nasty trees. Seems like I've had a few lately too. Thanks MD.

I ordered it in a hurry wolf, based on those 2 points alone. lol I'm kinda sorry I did too.

Thanks,

Jeff
Seriously its good to have a cheap crap rope on board for pine ,also good when working with newbs that can cut a rope on the ground.It also rolls up easy and is nice and light.Its good to have but also keep a real good rope on board too.

Last edited:
If you like to use ascenders check out the Poison Ivy or I think the other version of the same rope is called blue moon. Runs great through my ascenders, doesn't stretch so much that it gives that bouncy feel, knots great, has just the right amount of give and runs really smooth with an I2I or split tail. Great stuff. I'm on my second PI line.

Funny, thats what I was thinking. I climbed on PI before, loved the feel of it, just never through mechanicals. thanks MD

I hear what you're saying wolf. I may just buy a back-up. you've got me really thinking now. haha

God Bless,

Jeff

The PI is a little smaller in diameter than most 1/2 climbing line (11.7 MM I believe) and is better suited for working with ascenders. I like to order mine with both ends spliced with tight eyes. The spliced eyes are way more convenient than having to tie attachment knots onto your biners and the rope lasts a lot longer if you get both ends spliced and switch ends periodically when you climb. Wesspur sells a version called Bluemoon but they only offer one eye splice. I'm sure you could call them and special order two if you wanted. I like to order mine from Sherrill though because I have been dealing with them since 01 and have always had excellent customer service. It's also convenient to be able to log into my account and be able to track my purchase history for 10 years. No questions about how long my gear has been in service, I can just check the purchase date with a mouse click.

I have rigged out a 14" by 5' section of solid white ash on my 1/2" arbor plex through a 5/8" cmi block and porty, felt fine, nothing broke or over strained, that size block works out great. I think it absorbs shock loads well also, 3% elongation at working load limit = silky smooth operation even if your groundies arn't perfect. Should work fine with wood up to 600lbs with that setup. That covers most of my rigging needs anyways. It twists up kind of funny when its newer but it breaks in pretty well over time.

Its light, cheap, and easy to knot compared to higher diameter rigging lines. I have some 9/16" stable braid but I never use it if I can get away with using my arborplex.

Funny, thats what I was thinking. I climbed on PI before, loved the feel of it, just never through mechanicals. thanks MD

I hear what you're saying wolf. I may just buy a back-up. you've got me really thinking now. haha

God Bless,

Jeff

Especially for dummies that may cut the rope I would use it.If I had the real good team with me i break out the good stuff well you know when to use it.

The PI is a little smaller in diameter than most 1/2 climbing line (11.7 MM I believe) and is better suited for working with ascenders. I like to order mine with both ends spliced with tight eyes. The spliced eyes are way more convenient than having to tie attachment knots onto your biners and the rope lasts a lot longer if you get both ends spliced and switch ends periodically when you climb. Wesspur sells a version called Bluemoon but they only offer one eye splice. I'm sure you could call them and special order two if you wanted. I like to order mine from Sherrill though because I have been dealing with them since 01 and have always had excellent customer service. It's also convenient to be able to log into my account and be able to track my purchase history for 10 years. No questions about how long my gear has been in service, I can just check the purchase date with a mouse click.

I climb SRT, so the eye splice deal is kinda moot for me. I do however, switch ends every time I climb. A sail boat rigger turned me on to that. Good idea about sherril, I didn't know that. Do they price match?

Jeff

Especially for dummies that may cut the rope I would use it.If I had the real good team with me i break out the good stuff well you know when to use it.

That's my dilemma. I would love to let my ground guys use a good saw every now and again. Only problem is they'd probably never cut the wood how I would. I want desperately to use the good stuff each trip out, but you and I both know that's slightly foolish, as I'm not made of money. lol

I have rigged out a 14" by 5' section of solid white ash on my 1/2" arbor plex through a 5/8" cmi block and porty, felt fine, nothing broke or over strained, that size block works out great. I think it absorbs shock loads well also, 3% elongation at working load limit = silky smooth operation even if your groundies arn't perfect. Should work fine with wood up to 600lbs with that setup. That covers most of my rigging needs anyways. It twists up kind of funny when its newer but it breaks in pretty well over time.

Its light, cheap, and easy to knot compared to higher diameter rigging lines. I have some 9/16" stable braid but I never use it if I can get away with using my arborplex.

That's pretty much my set-up for light stuff. I am really getting tired of setting a block though. I fabricated a pretty sweet double bollard for a porty, works great for me. I'm gonna try my 1/2" out, if I like it the rest of this year, I'm gonna pull the trigger on a 600' reel.

Thanks for the tip.

Jeff

That's my dilemma. I would love to let my ground guys use a good saw every now and again. Only problem is they'd probably never cut the wood how I would. I want desperately to use the good stuff each trip out, but you and I both know that's slightly foolish, as I'm not made of money. lol

I have good stuff that just sits because I know they will cut it.And you dont want to cut a 150 ft 3/4 or 5/8 rope at the prices nowadays.I have saws for them to use I really hate it when they pick up mine and rock it.Then they pick up another one instead of sharpening it if you want to see how mad I get at that it would be amusing.

Last edited:
I have good stuff that just sits because I know they will cut it.And you dont want to cut a 150 ft 3/4 or 5/8 rope at the prices nowadays.I have saws for them to use I really hate it when they pick up mine and rock it.Then they pick up another one instead of sharpening it if you want to see how mad I get at that it would be amusing.

Sucks brother. What state you in? I'd make a bad groundy, just cant get paid enough, plus, I couldn't just watch someone else in a tree. Gotta be doing it.

Back