Saw Chain Input

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maul

Reaction score
I am looking for some input on saw chain. My application is primarily the cutting of eastern hardwoods for firewood. I can’t really say I’m having any trouble with the Oregon Super Guard chain I am currently using however, it never hurts to ask for suggestions. thoughts?

What saw and what size chain are you using? For 3/8" I'm partial to Stihl RS full comp for most saws. A little more money than the Oregon, but I think it holds an edge longer. For people hitting foreign material a lot (nails, dirt, rocks) it might not make much difference. But for cutting clean wood I think the Stihl chain holds an edge a lot longer.

I'll second 165's recommendation. I also like Carlton chain and, if there is a lot of junk in the wood, I prefer skip chain since it saves filing time.

like Brian said, stihl RS is very good chain, however i do use a lot of woodsman pro chain which is carlton chain i like it cause it's a lot cheaper for me even after shipping and handling because all the dealers around here want $28 for a 20'' loop!!!! i can get carlton chain for $14 per loop from www.baileys-online.com and its here two days latter:D

Hello fellow East Coaster.

I would have to say it really depends on what you have for a saw??but I like to use Oregon 72LG it's round ground full chisel full comp chain very good for around here,or you could try out a loop of Carlton A1LM it's the equivilaint of the Oregon chain.

Later Rob,.....

Welcome aboard Maul, I too like Oregon LG style chain for clean hardwoods if we are talking 3/8 pitch chain. If the wood is dirtier, ie: skidded logs, I use DG which is semi chisel. 20" loops are $9.95 - $10.95 from CCD, or Madsen`s has a buy one at retail and get one free deal. I haven`t used enough Stihl chain in the last few years to be any kind of expert, the few loops I have used I didn`t see any better staysharp and I can`t figure out why it should cost twice as much.The few loops of Carlton that I have used actually seemed to dull fast and I was disappointed with it, but I have it on good source that isn`t normal. It`s possible that the loops I had came from the same roll which may have had a problem, which sometimes happens with any manufactured product. Russ

i've been running the laser brand chain that was made by john deere. lots of good things with that chain. now that jd closed their plant the laser chain is being made by windsor. i have not really put this chain to all tests but i noticed the corner for the side and top plates are a little more relaxed in the full chisel. this will give good proformance like full chisel but, will be more forgiving in maintaining the point. marty

glad we could be of help maul. Hey ya'll we stayed on topic!!!!!!LOL:D

oregon LG here too - best bang for the buck. if you have the green wank link chain - pitch it.:)

Back