Saw Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a new 046 Magnum, and it seems I get as many opinions on this question as the number of people I ask. Could someone settle it once and for all??? When I am going to store my saw for a long period, say a couple of months or more, how do you fellas deal with the gas? I use 94 octane and Stihl mix oil ONLY, I also add some Sta-Bil. My dealer says to fill the tank, start the saw and choke it to shut it off. Hence, the tank and carb would be full. Some say to drain the tank and run the saw until the fuel is gone out of the carb. What to do?

No Worries

Just send it to me. I'll take good care of it, use it every day just to make sure its OK, and I'll send it back whenever you need it.

Seriously, I say drain the tank and run it dry.

I like the way your dealer suggests, but I`d drain the tank afterward. I don`t like running any two stroke dry. Obviously, my answer is the one definitive answer you need:D . Russ

Hi there, sometimes I will give my saws a thorough wash before storing just in case they caught something from a poulan or homelite.
John

storage

For 2 to 3 months, I usually do not worry about it. With the stabil and the good fuel you are running, you gas will be OK. How would I store it? Clean saw off, clean air filter, sharpen. If you are talking a longer period of time, drain the tank and run it out. Let it idle until it quits. NEVER lost a saw this way.

There's Lambert playing Paul Newman from "Never Give An Inch".....again. :D pssst, John, there's supposed to be somebody pinned under the log. :D

Same movie, I think they changed the title for tv. Gotta go now, I have an overwhelming desire to saw a desk in half.

I've never done anything special for storing saws for a couple months. I also use Stihl oil and premium gas. If I were going to put up a saw for a year or more, I would clean and drain it then run it dry.

I recently pulled an old 025 out of the shed, been parked there for 4 years. Had a half tank of stale gas in it, and it actually started on the 7-8th pull! I cleaned it up, gave it a tune-up and I now have a spare saw!

I also have a weedeater and lawnmower that may sit unused for 3-4 months every winter. Never did anything other than set them down with whatever gas was in them, and never had a problem with them running. Some here may not like Stihl oil or running premium fuel, but it ALWAYS works for me.

Last edited:
Hi there, now sure, but I think the novel was called Never Give an Inch and the movie was Sometimes a Great Notion.
Anyway, Gyro was swimmin around looking for a bar nut that had vibrated off his saw and got trapped under the log, so I bucked him out.
John

i have heard of that movie...I once owned an ashtray that was reputedly used by Paul Newman in that movie...just before he did in the desk....havent seen the show yet....but still looking for that piano.

toolmaker,
sounds like you fuel is good, just start the saw once in a while to keep the parts moving. when i have saws the sit for a while i just start them once a month. that tends to take some time around here though. marty

this is an old photo. i have added at least a dozen since than.

Toolmaker, I think it really depends on what part of the country you live in and where. The gas up here in N.H. is pure DooDoo!
All the equipment we sell, we strongly recommend Sta-bil in everything stored for more then a month. We must change about 800 feet of fuel line and rebulid a ton of carbs every year because people leave the gas in the their equipment for more then a month or so. I won't even start another temper tantrum on MTBE and enthanol, there are already to many threads about that stuff.

Hey Marty, there is no possible need to have that many saws! You probably just have some unmet needs from your childhood and simply need a check up from the neck up.
In fact, I think its down right criminal that you are harming our enviroment by destroying timber and cutting down trees!
Where's your lab coat?
The Chainsaw Phsychiatrist

Latest posts

Back