Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CL ad for Walnut and Ash. Zoom in on the picture and you'll see the ash has a tree house in it. Lots of lag bolts, electric fence insulators, chain from swings. IMG_20170830_145942276.jpg

I took home a load of mostly Walnut from the branches. The trunk is still there.
IMG_20170830_164901322.jpg

Need to figure out how to deal with the ash. The farm hand mentioned a big John Deere and dragging it away from the house.

The owner said there's lots of firewood for me to cut on their 350 acres.:rock:

Here's some pics from the weekends scrounge. State forest offcuts, this was longed only a few weeks ago.
The wood was pretty dirty, I got to run the 28" bar on the 7900, with a new chain it cut with authority, more authority than the 20" bar sharpened by me (what does that tell ya). Think I'll look into buying a grinder soon.
upload_2017-9-1_11-25-10.png

upload_2017-9-1_12-1-54.png

Had to noodle the big logs, no chance of splitting. The kids have some noodles to make a mess with.
upload_2017-9-1_12-2-55.png

Created a big stack along my boundary.

upload_2017-9-1_12-4-29.png

Neighbours have a artistic wood stack to look at for the next two years ( hope it doesn't collapse).
upload_2017-9-1_12-5-42.png

Anybody else in the U.S. had a fire in the stove this early? Just installed a new-to-me nc30...high of 63 here in central Ohio tomorow...down in the 50's tonight. All the windows still open in the house. Good thing too. The previous owner put some kind of oil all over the stove and it stinks. I cleaned every bit I could off but still some residue

Anybody else in the U.S. had a fire in the stove this early? Just installed a new-to-me nc30...high of 63 here in central Ohio tomorow...down in the 50's tonight. All the windows still open in the house. Good thing too. The previous owner put some kind of oil all over the stove and it stinks. I cleaned every bit I could off but still some residue

I'd never done it on a used stove but for a new one, light it up for a few hours before bringing it in the house.

Here's some pics from the weekends scrounge. State forest offcuts, this was longed only a few weeks ago.
The wood was pretty dirty, I got to run the 28" bar on the 7900, with a new chain it cut with authority, more authority than the 20" bar sharpened by me (what does that tell ya). Think I'll look into buying a grinder soon.

Rather than a grinder get one of the higher end clamp on guides that sets all the angles. Most improtant when hand filing. Throw files away when they get dull. It took me too many years before I finally learned that second step. I have both a grinder (cheap one) and the file guide. I can do a loop of chain a lot faster with the guide than than the grinder.

Back