Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Arb-site activity has fallen off for a while, but cold weather and getting a new right knee on Friday will mean more computer screen time. (Am also joining the modern world this week trading in my flip-phone for my wife's old smart phone,)

Scrounging, since I live on 3.2 acres in a pine forest, is how I keep my house warm with mostly hardwood. I haunt the Craigslist free area, and have an in-town arborist who keeps me well supplied. I scrounge way more wood than I need, so I'm able to hook up a bunch of my neighbors with hardwood they'd not find otherwise. Whenever I drive thru town I swivel my head at every intersection, scanning for chippers or arborist trucks on every block in sight--I've frequently brought home loads of wood that I spotted that way.

Yesterday I stacked all I could on my pickup, tailgate down to get that extra volume available when all is stacked carefully and mounded up to cab-roof height. This was the last of my overflow pile of seasoned stuff. I delivered it (no $ involved) to a friend up the road, eighty-something-year-old Bill P. who is a Holocaust survivor. (Out of an extended family of 200, only he and two cousins survived.) This was his second load, as I took a similar amount to him in October. There is no better feeling than that big smile and handshake he gave me after we unloaded.
Missed hearing from ya! Welcome back.

Put it on and give it a shot. You'll just need to leave the rakers a bit higher.
As for the 455; I'd just swap the tank and run the cylinder missing the fin. As long as you have enough a sharp chain and good mix you should never have a problem with it getting hot, and you'd have a spare p&c if every needed.
The tank is built in to the lower end on the new 455 Ranchers. I am going to just swap the piston and top end and let it fly. I don't need another saw kicking around taking up space.

Well... you see, here's the problem: I *DID* get my knee replaced. Not that it was a joy before the surgery, but I was still playing basketball on it up until the week before my total knee replacement. Now, with the new knee I am much worse off going on 6 months. Most of the stories from guys like you talk about how great it is and often say they wish they had done it sooner.

This has been the worst experience of my life. I've had foot surgery and ACL surgery that I've recovered from very well and quickly without complications. In fact, the operation on my foot was the best decision I ever made healthwise (one doctor told me that I'm the only individual that he's ever met where that procedure was successful.) So this is not how *I* typically recover.

I should be the ideal candidate from age, health, weight, activity, history, etc. and it has not turned out that way. I even went with this surgeon based on multiple recommendations including a colleague's wife who works in the hospital - he also had his done by this doctor. I've been to 55 PT sessions and they finally discharged me because it wasn't working - and not for lack of trying different things. 2 doctors and my PT therapist had been telling me that this is normal and it just takes time. I'm done with that BS and they have all finally admitted that something is wrong (as I've said from the beginning.) I had a CT scan on Friday and am waiting to meet with the doctor to review it.

Sorry if I sound short, but a new knee is not a good recommendation to me right now. If I could, I would trade back for the bone on bone in a heartbeat. But I hope they figure it out and I get to be happy with it in the end.
Here's hoping they see an issue and it's an easy fix. Looking at a new knee myself at some point I'm afraid.

No, but I've heard of and seen them before. What's the scoop with a Fiskars?
You missed out on years of arguments on this topic. ;)

About 85% of people who use it will say the Fiskars is a very efficient splitting tool. However it needs a fast strike to be effective and some folks who are used to swing heavy mauls can just never get it right so they say the Fiskars is crap.

I was talking about the 550Xp with a .325 chain and the 562XP with a 3/8 chain. You are right if I were to compare one saw with the two different chains. If I did that then I would have a bar and chain setup that I would have no use for except as a spare in case of emergencies.
The 562xp will out cut about any 50cc saw stock for stock in the same wood, even smaller bars, you can push the 562 much harder then a 50cc saw. I've done the 3/8 vs .325 many times on stock 50cc saws as well. I keep .325 on them. They are just faster cutting. Possibly a little more grabby on the smaller limbs but faster in the cut. Larger bars make this more apparent. Even my ported 346xp wears 18" .325.
🤔 Very interesting! I'll definitely have to try one out.👍
They make a great product. I have the iso core maul and a little camp style hatchet. Broke the handle on the camp hatchet from pounding it through splits to make kindling with a hammer, but nothing welding a pipe on for a handle didn't fix. The iso core maul is just a beast. I have tons of mauls and they all sit. Even the Wilton, which is similar design just sits. I really should grab one of their axes but don't often need an axe for more then pounding wedges or chipping bark/smaller branches off. What I have laying around works well enough for that.

About 85% of people who use it will say the Fiskars is a very efficient splitting tool. However it needs a fast strike to be effective and some folks who are used to swing heavy mauls can just never get it right so they say the Fiskars is crap.
I think those that find it ineffective swing it like Aunt Esther swings her purse, but I could be wrong!
giphy.gif

I think those that find it ineffective swing it like Aunt Esther swings her purse, but I could be wrong!
View attachment 1032111
@CTYank was the anti-Fiskars guy around here. He was just too slow to get it right (maybe more ways than one). Even though he was completely full of **** on most topics I miss having him around here for the comedic value.

No, but I've heard of and seen them before. What's the scoop with a Fiskars?
I was skeptical at first but they work extremely well, I can split stuff with the x27 that my splitting maul has a hard time with, and not near as tiring with the x27 fiskars. I do like wood handles but fiskars is all I use now other than the hydro. Yep the I drunk the cool aid, lol.

I'm ready to go work with @Logger nate or @Kodiak Kid now. :laugh: Was out looking for some new work pants yesterday and found a pair of Carhartt LOGGER jeans. Had been looking for a while and not seen any in the stores around here. Gotta find some suspenders now.
Come on out! Be great to have you here, I’ll save a few trees for you😉D69B9A5F-5761-4CC4-BEDC-7F3628A79B82.png75758D03-59CD-43DF-8202-8428A7A75A88.jpeg

I used to do a lot of hand splitting. I actually like the X25 slightly better because it had a shorter handle for a faster swing. The Husqvarna S2800 was an improved version of the Fiskars and really really worked well too.

If a guy had a Fiskar is X25, X27, or S2800 and paired it with a Fiskars Isocore for the tough stuff you’d have the perfect pair.

If you get a taller muscular fellow over 6 feet like Mike you can really make that wood sail with any Fiskars.

Btw their chopping tools are darn good too.

I'm ready to go work with @Logger nate or @Kodiak Kid now. :laugh: Was out looking for some new work pants yesterday and found a pair of Carhartt LOGGER jeans. Had been looking for a while and not seen any in the stores around here. Gotta find some suspenders now.
The double faced ones?? They used to say if you wear those out you're workin' too hard.

I used to do a lot of hand splitting. I actually like the X25 slightly better because it had a shorter handle for a faster swing. The Husqvarna S2800 was an improved version of the Fiskars and really really worked well too.

If a guy had a Fiskar is X25, X27, or S2800 and paired it with a Fiskars Isocore for the tough stuff you’d have the perfect pair.

If you get a taller muscular fellow over 6 feet like Mike you can really make that wood sail with any Fiskars.

Btw their chopping tools are darn good too.
I just couldn't get behind those short handles on the husqy and the x25. Same reason I just couldn't Like the Wilton maul. I'm 5'9" so pretty average height. I wish husqy would come out with a 32" version of the s2800

Bring your gun SteveDE91F8E4-4C89-4BA3-AD6B-CAEC0404A6F1.jpegBy our job site

Can't say much (about the X-27) that has not been said, but even many smaller guys (like my Nephew) prefer the X-27 over their shorter handle/lighter splitting axes. Speed and accuracy are keys to its success.

Also, cold dry wood always splits better, and I don't aim for the center, I go closer to one edge (usually the far edge) or the other to increase my leverage of the split. Once you get a crack, work it across. I don't care if the piece is right side up or upside down, always start furthest away from any knots.

I have split wood by hand for over 50 years, and I have split rounds with the Fiskars I did not think I could split by hand.

My swing is not fancy, it is just a simple up and down (accuracy is key) with my hands about 2" apart. Make sure you stay safe, this thing can blast through some wood. Have a good chopping block under it, dress right, and keep your legs apart and the axe guided toward the middle.

Back