Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go big , or go home šŸ‘ get that big boy ported soon ,Lol šŸ˜†

I'll probably crack it open at some point, I've got a few saws on the bench that I need to wrap up before I get to this one.

I'm in the middle of a handful of 261s right now...thought I was just about done with them, but a buddy of mine heard I was doing those 261s, so he dropped his off. I do prefer working on multiple of the same model of saws, saves time on machine work. The problem is I'm breaking my promise to myself that I'd take a break from porting saws this summer. The weather is too epic right now to be stuck inside staring at a lathe turn. :laugh:

Some views from today's moto ride out in the backcountry, I'll probably be packing a saw into this area next week for some trail maintenance.

IMG_20230820_144626875_HDR.jpg.097a7797a4c57bfbc24da42ddf526f97.jpg
IMG_20230820_142754513_HDR.jpg.9d6a18641a7046d37b6e22b4dd6c6ec2.jpg

Whew, Iā€™ve been gone a hot minute. Not even gonna try to catch up.

Been way too busy with work to do any wood cutting, but winter is coming and I need to get wood in soon.

Anyway. Last time I was around we were talking about square grinders. Today I picked up a ā€œlightly usedā€ simington 451c and I gotta say this thing is getting the better of me.

First off, itā€™s missing the stops for the arm, as well as the adjustment screw for the depth, but I donā€™t think either of these is a huge deal.

The angles seemed way off at first but I figured out I had to adjust the dressing stones for the wheel and am pretty happy with the grind now.

However, when you swing around to grind the other side of the chain itā€™s not even close to grinding the same, and my understanding was that it should grind both sides pretty much the same when you swing around to the other side.

99D96664-6EC4-4E51-ABFA-F44CDBE03978.jpeg

A485330B-D339-48FB-84C3-8CE15BD03749.jpeg

Attachments

• 0EC1813F-F229-4101-8E87-056DB45A241F.jpeg
    0EC1813F-F229-4101-8E87-056DB45A241F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm not the only one here that disagreed with you, yet you singled me out. That was nice of you...

I do fail to see why a difference of opinion would bother you so much, and that's all it is, a difference of opinion.

Do you really think I give-a-dam what scope you or anyone else buys???

SR
Obviously you do, other wise you wouldn't have gone on your. "Everyone reaches for my equipment because theirs is junk" rant. you're flat out insulting, ignorant and arrogant. You've done it many times with many subjects. Truthfully I'm about ready to block your messages because I'm sick of you bad attitude.

Obviously you do, other wise you wouldn't have gone on your. "Everyone reaches for my equipment because theirs is junk" rant. you're flat out insulting, ignorant and arrogant. You've done it many times with many subjects. Truthfully I'm about ready to block your messages because I'm sick of you bad attitude.
aaaaw, more kind words from you...

Well, if I expect everyone to use what "I" use, what brands would that be?? I mean IF you are right, then I should have a list of my equipment here. Maybe you could point out where that list is.

I don't, so obviously you are full of it. lol

You must be used to everyone bowing down to you and agreeing with everything you say, you should have said that up front, then I would have fell in line...

SR

Honda made/makes several engine models that look the same. ie, mower. i have heard bad news about the walk behind with a Honda on it. i have a walk behind, with a Honda on it. dif model! still runs like new, and is a real workhorse mower!
Honda's are reliable & stout performers . The only Honda I ever regretted , was a 1985 8 hp snowblower . The transmission went out on the track drive . I had to split the transmission in half to replace a 50 cent shear pin . However as Tex mentioned there are various engine grades within the Honda line up !

I must say, since they came out with electronic ignition, I have had great luck with almost all of my gasoline engines, which include Briggs, Kohler, Predator and Kawasaki.
(All are pull start except the Kawasaki, and it starts instantly).

I had not run my splitter since last year (Kohler motor), so I started it on Monday just to make sure it was OK. It started on the first pull!

I wish my Polaris motor (which is fuel injected) started as quickly, it does not, but it always seems to start and run, but it does scare you now and then. The Kawasaki is carbureted and has a choke but fires the instant you turn it over.

Havenā€™t been on here in months, yeah I see nothing changes. You guys are a riot.

Uncle Mustang, all the wood was cut with my Husqvarna or Christopherā€™s 261

Derek said since my husky was already out, leave the 460 in the truck. Not sure if you touched Christopherā€™s 261, but it is a runner.

Yea, I'm sure he is the only one who has ever noticed your arrogance!

I think those double barrel bear rifles need two high end scopes, a Zies on the right and a Leopold on the left. That way if one of the lenses gets browned by some stuff that is flying around you can always use the other one!
My 2 cents , have used Tasco , Bushnell on rim fires . Weaver , Redfield & Simmonds on centre fires .450 bigbore , 30-06 , 300 H&H . I recently bought a Swarovski for my new .378 Weatherby . As far as optics , I have never once had a scope fog once , wether hunting deer , moose , elk or caribou or routine squirrel or hare . However , I am religious within firearm mtce & proper storage & handling . The actual purchase of swarovski scope was more for durability reputation rather than shear optics quality . Neither of the previous mentioned scope manufacturers ever failed me over the previous 50 + yrs !

I must say, since they came out with electronic ignition, I have had great luck with almost all of my gasoline engines, which include Briggs, Kohler, Predator and Kawasaki.
(All are pull start except the Kawasaki, and it starts instantly).

I had not run my splitter since last year (Kohler motor), so I started it on Monday just to make sure it was OK. It started on the first pull!

I wish my Polaris motor (which is fuel injected) started as quickly, it does not, but it always seems to start and run, but it does scare you now and then. The Kawasaki is carbureted and has a choke but fires the instant you turn it over.
I agree Mike , all my small 4 cycle engines have faired well . MY Honda GX Series on my splitter , along with Briggs on my current Toro blowers & my 190 Kawasaki kai on my commercial Toro mower have paid for themselves , as have a few Kohlers on a few cheaper gen sets . The biggest boon to reliability is quality fuel & oil along with routine air & fuel filter cleaning . Although they may not outlast a few of my 2 cycle Pioneer saws or Lawnboy mowers , the nature of the beast implies 4 cycle require a little more hands on ! ;)

Exactly. Now I don't normally take it unless there's :envy: involved lol.
I managed to get another trailer load of maple this weekend, some brush, and a bunch of rounds. It wasn't as easy as some of the scrounging I do, but :envy::envy::envy:, so no complaints.

Is one an xt and one an oe?
I saw you said you need to put a piston/rings in one, you should do a 268 piston if it's an oe that needs a P/C.

Practice helps with an optic just as much as with open sights or a set of beads on a shotgun barrel. If a gun is set up well for you, and you are familiar with it, when you place it to your shoulder/cheek, your eye should be lined up or very close. Also learning to use both eyes as was said above can be done and is very helpful when getting on target initially. If any of your buddies have red(or green, which I prefer) dots on there long guns, you should try one, for 50yrd shots at deer that's not a bad optic. They can also be shot with both eyes open ;), well :) šŸ˜†.
About 55yrds with the .17 cal this weekend, it turned right as I shot, just not quite quick enough! It's a little red squirrel.
View attachment 1106456

I will keep all that in mind chipper. I appreciate good advice as always!

I'm not the only one here that disagreed with you, yet you singled me out. That was nice of you...

I do fail to see why a difference of opinion would bother you so much, and that's all it is, a difference of opinion.
No offense Rob, but you are BY FAR the most opinionated, outspoken, and argumentative regular in here. If you dish it out, you had better be ready for it to come back to you as well. It sort of comes with the territory.
Do you really think I give-a-dam what scope you or anyone else buys???

SR
You sure seem to. Lol

Yea, I'm sure he is the only one who has ever noticed your arrogance!

I think those double barrel bear rifles need two high end scopes, a Zies on the right and a Leopold on the left. That way if one of the lenses gets browned by some stuff that is flying around you can always use the other one!
ZING lololol

Yesterday, my day started off pretty good, my friend wanted to do firewood, so off we went to start taking apart, these two big oaks I cut down a couple weeks ago.

Resized-20230807-133315-S.jpg

We got started by making the first cuts on the ground,

Resized-20230819-141328-S.jpg

Then I'd lift the logs up onto my wagon and we'd make the finish cuts,

Resized-20230819-142929-S.jpg

Some of these logs were pretty big around,

Resized-20230819-160908-S.jpg

and everything was going good, UNTIL my buddy says, "hey your front wheel is crooked", so I jump off to have a look,

Resized-20230819-153737-S.jpg

OUCH! This isn't going to be a cheeep fix! It's time to go see the parts man!! lol

Resized-20230819-153737-SAS.jpg

anyway, this is what we got done before everything went south!

Resized-20230819-160842-S.jpg

Tomorrow will be a parts day, well probably a parts "order" day...

SR
Itā€™s strange to see a failed wheel that didnā€™t rust out first

No offense Rob, but you are BY FAR the most opinionated, outspoken, and argumentative regular in here. If you dish it out, you had better be ready for it to come back to you as well. It sort of comes with the territory.

You sure seem to. Lol
I don't mind his or anyone else's post, but when they start name calling, they already lost credibility with me. I make statements and then back them up with my experiences, I guess if you (they) didn't have the same experience, then I'm the one that's wrong??

I think he should put me on ignore if it's going to make him feel better, heck I have mouseterd mike on ignore, and it's working out great for me. lol

Heck, I'm still waiting for a list of the scopes I own, to appear. lol

SR

Itā€™s strange to see a failed wheel that didnā€™t rust out first
After MANY years of overloading the frontend of that tractor, I sure can't complain too much about failed wheels.

I've made thousands of extremely heavy "picks" with that tractor/loader, so that's the way it goes with heavy use...

SR

Back