Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the log is fresh and not dried, when you cut a round the center will have a green color to it and sort of smell like green tea if it is a tulip poplar. Based on bark alone, I get ash and tulip poplar mixed up. One cut and I can tell the difference. The ash wood will be very white. Do you have any pictures of leaves?
No pics of leaves, the core is a little brown and outer part very white no smell that i noticed. Its funny i have driving by that tree for years now and never really noticed it till the town took it down. Its close to my place and i have many ash trees, nothing that big. I worked in a chip mill for awhile and any time we ran poplar it smelt really bad.
Some guys already grabbed the top wood befor i had a chance to get down there,they took the easy stuff.

No pics of leaves, the core is a little brown and outer part very white no smell that i noticed. Its funny i have driving by that tree for years now and never really noticed it till the town took it down. Its close to my place and i have many ash trees, nothing that big. I worked in a chip mill for awhile and any time we ran poplar it smelt really bad.
Some guys already grabbed the top wood befor i had a chance to get down there,they took the easy stuff.

If that tree has been down for years it is probably dry and that is why is doesnt smell or have the green core. The brown core color is what tulip poplar looks like when it is dry. I think that is tulip poplar as well when I look at the picture. I believe if that was ash the wood color would be uniform. Regardless of what it is, that is a lot of wood and wood is BTU's and BTU's are heat. Burn it up.

So today a tree crew showed up at the house directly across the street to do some heavy trimming on several trees. Good outfit: worked fast; worked efficiently; equipment was not new, but all looked to be in really good shape; wore all the PPE; etc.

I don't need any wood, and really don't have much room to store more, but I can always use a couple of long ash limbs for testing saws, etc., so I asked for a few. Guy was really friendly, but started cutting it into 16 inch pieces for me! I had to yell for him to stop - kind of hard to explain why I wanted to cut it myself.

Philbert

So today a tree crew showed up at the house directly across the street to do some heavy trimming on several trees. Good outfit: worked fast; worked efficiently; equipment was not new, but all looked to be in really good shape; wore all the PPE; etc.

I don't need any wood, and really don't have much room to store more, but I can always use a couple of long ash limbs for testing saws, etc., so I asked for a few. Guy was really friendly, but started cutting it into 16 inch pieces for me! I had to yell for him to stop - kind of hard to explain why I wanted to cut it myself.

Philbert

I ever hit powerball, I'm getting you your own woodlot. If ever anyone on here needed a place to cut and store, it's you man!

Philbert

If you told them you had CAD they probably would say, "Sorry, you should have used a condom." LOL

Well, 6.5 MPG is pushing hard, 65-70 pulling 28' 5th wheel and 16' fishing boat.....But yea, 8 mpg is about where I am at with skidloader or scrap trailer on back.

I have heard, but not verified, the dividing line between the heavy drinking Hemi's and the more efficient ones is 2007.

Al-k:
My motto,
If it's free, it's for me..

I would just love to get my 7900 with the 32"bar into that beast.
I never saw anyone split a round sideways like that. Something I should know about?
I just cut the round and noodle it small enuf to handle, the hydo finishes the job.

Square cut chain, just makes my head hurt. Guess my old brain is to cluttered to absorb any more info.
This warm WX has me burning pine and uglies just enough to keep the chill away. That's just fine by me, save the good stuff for the next polar vertex, it's comming that's for sure.

Getting old ain't for sissies

Al-k:
My motto,
If it's free, it's for me..

I would just love to get my 7900 with the 32"bar into that beast.
I never saw anyone split a round sideways like that. Something I should know about?
I just cut the round and noodle it small enuf to handle, the hydo finishes the job.

Square cut chain, just makes my head hurt. Guess my old brain is to cluttered to absorb any more info.
This warm WX has me burning pine and uglies just enough to keep the chill away. That's just fine by me, save the good stuff for the next polar vertex, it's comming that's for sure.

Getting old ain't for sissies
My little 291 with a 20" bar would not go through, so we split off what was cut till i could finish the cut. besides that i could not move a round that big.

2 Chestnut 1 Red Oak 1 block away. Finally 3 years ahead, maybe more with this mild winter. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Did you get to cut it up or was it delivered like that? Hard to say which would be better- of course it's always cool to have free wood delivered, but it's even cooler if you get to run a few saws!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was already cut up. Made 9 trips with my pick up to get it all back. Had to quarter about half of it to be able to get it loaded. Will start splitting hopefully Sunday. Will be able to run my saws to get some of the rounds down to size.

I have heard, but not verified, the dividing line between the heavy drinking Hemi's and the more efficient ones is 2007.

It is very possible......I know the newer engines have a LOT more ponies too. I can't complain too bad, it is a bulletproof engine and I beat the crap out of it. I have buddies with duramax's and they are built, but then tranny goes. I would love a Cummins, but will keep what I have for now. I have been lookin on auctions and can pick up a nice 4 door 3/4 ton hemi for a LOT less than a diesel.......I hate payments.....and it would take a lot of years to pay that cummins off, even if runnin farm fuel thru it.....

Latest posts

Back