Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This splitter is one that lies down for cartage but stand it up to split.
I have seen a few photos of that general style of splitter from folks in NZ and AUS. Is that the most common type down there?

Most of ours in the US are either horizontal, or horizontal/vertical. But the vertical ones split wood on the ground - don't think I have seen any that split wood on a table.

Thanks.

Philbert

Mike , while it's under warranty , great trucks .
Had one come in just passed warranty , check engine light was on , computer was seeing a difference in the cam timing , was 4K$ to fix at that time , that's just one issue with them , there are more .

We are flooded with cheap, simple Chinese, predominately horizontal hydraulic.
There are some NZ manufacturers. One I would buy from, another I could not afford, another I am still taking a watching brief on.
Most of the home made ones I see are vertical.
This is one of my favourite such machine (to look at):

I was referring more to the 'Aussie Chopper' series.
Wash your mouth out. We're Kiwis, generally with an inferiority complex about our big anotherMotherBrothers across the ditch.
Nah, just joking. Oz has plenty of good buggers, and they take plenty of our lazy buggers so it's all good.

Whitlands Engineering would certainly be my pick of their firewood machinery manufacturers and would love a Rex model but not the price tag.

We are flooded with cheap, simple Chinese, predominately horizontal hydraulic.
There are some NZ manufacturers. One I would buy from, another I could not afford, another I am still taking a watching brief on.
Most of the home made ones I see are vertical.
This is one of my favourite such machines (to look at):

hahaha! I love it, rhythmic!

Steve (SVK), I snagged a bottle of the Smoked Maple Knob Creek. Great recommendation! Really good! I'm a fan.
Glad to hear!

If you think I'm discerning with my splitting axes, it pales in comparison to my whisky!

Tonight I bought a bottle of maple flavored Irish cream. That is going to be tasty in my coffee tomorrow!

Another one I like:

Tim does (or used to) a fair bit of old man pine. It's a pretty good weak spot testing timber because it's so stringy and can hang on for all it's worth so tends to find the weak spots in the splitter design.

Daydreaming up the ultimate splitter for our needs is probably something many of us do. However, there may be a very good reason why I have never seen a splitter like the one in my head; it's so 'out-there' it won't work. It's a batch-loaded automatic splitter. The operator just has to keep it fed with rounds/rings and clear the out-feed. In my head it makes best use of a single-operators time, and the operator can be cutting and loading the next batch of rings while the current batch works its way through the splitter. About a 15 minutes to empty a full charge of rounds/rings. It's one of those sorts of machines that people won't know what the heck it is at first glance. Maybe one day I can afford to get serious about building it.

I recently ran into a guy driving a new full size Ford Eco Boost truck, and he said he loved it. Was getting 26 MPG Hwy, and said it rode like a Caddy.

Had a good tow rating also. Sounds good to me!
My last truck was a brand new 2000 f150 2 wheel drive v6. I drove the snot out off it and loaded the bed with wood, gravel and even heaping loads of manure. I drove it for 14 years without any major repairs. We also had a 2002 expedition (4 kids) that we drove and towed with for 12 years. I replaced both vehicles with a 2013 super crew long wheelbase f150 Eco-boost that I love so far. The motor has tons of torque and is quiet, truck rides great.
I looked at the dodge, the Eco diesel was not out yet but it deserves a look I believe. The ford had a bigger cab and was available with the longer box as well when the other 2 weren't.
Long story but I believe truck choice comes down to, the best truck is the one you take care of. I've had good luck with the fords.

Got 6 loads like this Saturday and Sunday from my senior citizen. He's been working hard getting all the leaners on his property down and these were the stacks next to his driveway that he wanted gone. There is a nice stack of fresh oak that is there waiting for me, 3 or 4 loads of poles in the back, and some monster ash rounds that he rolled up away from what will be the swamp in the spring. I may not get back over there until spring unless the snow stays away over the holiday.

IMG_20151220_150152.jpg

Had some morning commitments which prevented me from joining thedodgegeeks, dieselfitter, and others up at the charity cut. After that I headed over to my friend's place to take down the second willow pole that the tree service left.

This one had a little more grit in it than the first tree I did for them this fall. I've got two dull chains after today but no big deal knowing how much I saved them from having to get a second tree service to come in and finish the job.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

All set for some lucky craigslist scrounger to come and haul away. I refuse to burn this pee smelling junk.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back