Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored these 2 windows for $125.00. They are the swing/hinge open types so I'll get plenty of air into the shop. The one wrapped up has the lowes custom order tag on it $349.99 šŸ˜³. Can't believe someone just wanted rid of it. No idea what the big one cost originally.

Attachments

• 20240601_105451.jpg
    20240601_105451.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I bought a tractor not long ago and it came to me without any "sway chains" on the 3 point hitch, so I dug around in my parts department and made up a set from what I found there,

Resized-20240601-123754-S.jpg

That was the last thing I really NEEDED to do on it, before I could put it to work, but there's IS a few more things I want to do later...

SR

View attachment 1181443
Dismantling a round stack
View attachment 1181444
Couple loads in the wood hauler
View attachment 1181445
And just like that, Winter 24/25 is ready. 25/26 is still in round stacks. Maybe I'll source some scrounge later this year.
Roughly how many cords do you burn a year? 1 stack = cords? And was your wood dry enough to put in dry storage? I'm not talking about green just wet from being uncovered. I usually wait until August heat to move mine in for the Winter despite being covered all year. Seems like it still picks up a little moisture in the Winter/Spring.

Roughly how many cords do you burn a year? 1 stack = cords? And was your wood dry enough to put in dry storage? I'm not talking about green just wet from being uncovered. I usually wait until August heat to move mine in for the Winter despite being covered all year. Seems like it still picks up a little moisture in the Winter/Spring.
Usually I burn 6-8 facecord or 2-2.5 full cord. My storage racks under the deck are 4x8 and wood cut average 16" a facecord, which is the preeminent measurement around these parts. 3 racks to a full cord. Last winter I only burned 4.5 racks as it was a mild season. That one round stack was enough to fill them back up.. almost. I had to take a couple armloads from the neighboring stack. This wood was split and stacked on skids 2 years ago. Yeah it's a little wet because it's been raining. The deck has tin on the underside and it faces west so it will dry nicely. I use the wood directly from there, carrying up and stacked by the door and a small stack adjacent to the stove.

Since I miscalculated how many unsplit rounds that were left to top off this stack
šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
šŸ¤”
- Used a few more short pieces of junk 2 x 4,1 x 8 & a handful of new screws,took a few minutes & built these extentions on the rack this afternoon. - That bring it to roughly 64 inches tall,close to the height of the previous stacks. - Regular pallets are only 48 inches the longest dimension,standard sized,even heavy weight ones are 48 x 40,except for a few smaller sized odd ones or the ones that are 8 or 12 feet long for moving/storing specially large items.

Dead Red Oak on the left,very dry dead Green or White Ash & semi-green Mulberry on the right.

DSC04664.JPG
DSC04665.JPG

Latest posts

Back