Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you tell me ... I just bought some 5/4 decking at HD today!
Take it back. That being said, who knows what lowes or home depot has in stock now, things were way different in the lumber market 3 yrs ago.
I figured you'd just mill some black locust.

Well I guess there is a difference in pressure treated wood . These boards were put down at the same time . I was short 3 boards so I went to Lowe’s and got them , boards on the left Home Depot right is Lowes View attachment 1187814View attachment 1187815
Lowes "pressure treat" wood comes in 2 classes. For ground contact and not for ground contact. Most the boards are in the not for ground contact category. All home depot pressure treat is rated for ground contact last I knew. Reason why I run across town for pressure treated boards.
edit: at least thats the case around here

I figured you'd just mill some black locust.
Don't get enough of it around here. Also, I was warned to never use it for building material because when it warps, it takes everything else with it!

Now, if I had enough White Oak I would use it ... and don't think I did not think of it, but it would be a big project!

And your boat would be illegal in NY . Even the race tracks around here all have muffler restrictions no muffler no race

I wasn’t allowed to race at Lebanon valley a few years ago at the vintage races . Not because of exhaust but I forgot to drain and flush the coolant . No antifreeze allowed
I'm as old as dirt so late 70's early 80's when they started noise restriction here in Oregon. Those early days prior there was no restriction on speed or noise... I look at drag boats as the unlimited end of the Hot Rod days. But, i do believe things... may have changed since then.
Most of the big block flats with 18% gears ran +70 mph! Most guys I knew ran Chevy high 80 low 90mph if they stayed off the cavitation plate.

Young crazy period of my life... work all week, spent all our money on the weekend. Beer, Gas, loaf of bread and hotdogs.... the weekend was all on the water... slept in our cars or back of our truck. Up early on the clear smooth water skiing, tubing during the day. Big late-night fires. Usually there was at least 5-6 boat up there with us every weekend all fast v-drive... well one guy ran 9% so maybe 65mph 1967 L88 427 with two Holley 650 double pumps on tunnel ram manifold. he had the original factor alum heads. He was more skier... less crazy than the rest of us.

I'm as old as dirt so late 70's early 80's when they started noise restriction here in Oregon. Those early days prior there was no restriction on speed or noise... I look at drag boats as the unlimited end of the Hot Rod days. But, i do believe things... may have changed since then.
Most of the big block flats with 18% gears ran +70 mph! Most guys I knew ran Chevy high 80 low 90mph if they stayed off the cavitation plate.

Young crazy period of my life... work all week, spent all our money on the weekend. Beer, Gas, loaf of bread and hotdogs.... the weekend was all on the water... slept in our cars or back of our truck. Up early on the clear smooth water skiing, tubing during the day. Big late-night fires. Usually there was at least 5-6 boat up there with us every weekend all fast v-drive... well one guy ran 9% so maybe 65mph 1967 L88 427 with two Holley 650 double pumps on tunnel ram manifold. he had the original factor alum heads. He was more skier... less crazy than the rest of us.
I’m in the same boat :laugh: Used to run flat out with a Chris Craft with a 327 on Candlewood lake in CT. Sold the house there early 2000s to many regs on the septic . House used a couple of weeks in the summer and a few weekends but the septic needed to be pumped every two years and you had to use an approved company . So of course it was three times the price . But they started to crack down on speed on the lake and noise too so we bailed .
Buddy still has a house on the lake but says it’s so crowded now you can’t even waterski for fear of getting hit by another boat . And the State Troopers patrol the lake giving out tickets left and right

I’m in the same boat :laugh: Used to run flat out with a Chris Craft with a 327 on Candlewood lake in CT. Sold the house there early 2000s to many regs on the septic . House used a couple of weeks in the summer and a few weekends but the septic needed to be pumped every two years and you had to use an approved company . So of course it was three times the price . But they started to crack down on speed on the lake and noise too so we bailed .
Buddy still has a house on the lake but says it’s so crowded now you can’t even waterski for fear of getting hit by another boat . And the State Troopers patrol the lake giving out tickets left and right
They sure do!!!

He mentions Rodgers Ridge along the top, Rodgers Ridge is no joke. The trail climbing it from the side they are working from gains 3,900 feet in about 7 miles, that’s going up diagonally. This is me on top of the ridge. I came from the other side in this pic, but have been up both sides. That’s the Sierra crest in the distance.

701EFA5E-CACD-4AC2-B257-3AFAA6BF3B3D.jpeg

These two were after the fire in 2015.
F9967A1C-9C56-44CC-BA70-436D8EF5F840.jpeg
A84EAF85-75BD-466B-9AB1-7D83852E6A4C.jpeg

Back