Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good... now your wife can move all her stuff back in. :laughing:
Lol, it's actually mostly empty right now. Just the bench I made, the 6 foot scaffold, insulation, and a skid of misc stuff I have to take back in the house for now. Kubota is in there too.
Yes indeed. Locking a "Vault" is important. I have very much enjoyed watching your progress.
I should take a picture of the latch I dreamed up. 1.5" box tube with a 1" bolt running through it for the latch. Had a heck of a time making slots in it for a handle. Turned out quite nice imo. Still far from done, but at least I can start moving my stuff out amd not have to worry anymore then it being in the house. (After my daughters party of course.)

Lowes "pressure treat" wood comes in 2 classes. For ground contact and not for ground contact. Most the boards are in the not for ground contact category. All home depot pressure treat is rated for ground contact last I knew. Reason why I run across town for pressure treated boards.
edit: at least thats the case around here
There used to be 3 grades of Pressure treated lumber, when it was all copper based. (green)
.20. Sold at box stores. Didn't last much more than untreated.
.40 Standard Lumber yard treated lumber. Lasts in most conditions when kept dry
.60 Foundation Grade. can be buried in dirt and kept wet. rot resistant for 50-75 years or more.

Newer chemicals and varying treatments now make it a crap shoot. In IA and WI Foundation grade is available. I've found yellawood to be somewhat between .20 and .40 in the old system.

Even IF the concentration is right in the tank, some operators don't get the time/temp long enough/high enough to get the chemical to the center in strong enough concentration.

I've seen treated lumber with the center rotted out, or eaten out by termites.

Best bet I've seen is to buy only from reputable lumber yards if you really need PT lumber. If you are putting it in walls where you can reasonably expect it to stay dry, then the box store PT will probably do to lessen chances of termite/carpenter ant damage.

The current "ground contact" may be meant to replace foundation grade, but I am not sure it is as good.
If you have a menard store in addition to lowe or home despot, menard has only ground contact the last I checked. (Last summer). I've gotten "ground contact" at lowes and HD at times too. You just have to watch the grade.

For critical stuff, I get the stuff certified foundation grade. That said, I have some foundation grade from a yard that sells a lot oaf wood foundation materials, that has been under the floor of an 8x10 tin shed for ~15 years, and it has either been eaten or rotted. It is in formosa termite country,

There used to be 3 grades of Pressure treated lumber, when it was all copper based. (green)
.20. Sold at box stores. Didn't last much more than untreated.
.40 Standard Lumber yard treated lumber. Lasts in most conditions when kept dry
.60 Foundation Grade. can be buried in dirt and kept wet. rot resistant for 50-75 years or more.

Newer chemicals and varying treatments now make it a crap shoot. In IA and WI Foundation grade is available. I've found yellawood to be somewhat between .20 and .40 in the old system.

Even IF the concentration is right in the tank, some operators don't get the time/temp long enough/high enough to get the chemical to the center in strong enough concentration.

I've seen treated lumber with the center rotted out, or eaten out by termites.

Best bet I've seen is to buy only from reputable lumber yards if you really need PT lumber. If you are putting it in walls where you can reasonably expect it to stay dry, then the box store PT will probably do to lessen chances of termite/carpenter ant damage.

The current "ground contact" may be meant to replace foundation grade, but I am not sure it is as good.
If you have a menard store in addition to lowe or home despot, menard has only ground contact the last I checked. (Last summer). I've gotten "ground contact" at lowes and HD at times too. You just have to watch the grade.

For critical stuff, I get the stuff certified foundation grade. That said, I have some foundation grade from a yard that sells a lot oaf wood foundation materials, that has been under the floor of an 8x10 tin shed for ~15 years, and it has either been eaten or rotted. It is in formosa termite country,
Never heard of foundation grade, I'll have to look out for it. Admittedly I'm no carpenter, and don't even like doing carpentry work. I do my best to grab the ground contact rated stuff. Didn't know there wad a superior grade yet. I've been treating the stuff i get with copper green preservative too. Seems to help them last longer.

For a test I put some .40 on the ground alongside .60, all in a fairly dry place in the shade.

In less than 10 years, the .40 was ate up by black ants and the .60 was untouched.

When I buy PT lumber, I just make sure the little tag stapled on the end of the piece, says .60 treat on it.

SR

Oil pan is in . I hand tightened the bolts till the Right Stuff started to squeeze out. I’m letting it sit a while before torquing the bolts down IMG_8673.jpegIMG_8674.jpegand now for my next trick removing the fill and drain plugs on the differential fill came out easily the drain not so much . Guess I’ll be getting new ones
IMG_8677.jpegIMG_8676.jpegIMG_8675.jpegThe 10 mm hex just rounded the hole so I needed the old chisel and and hammer

How’s the fella doing that’s dealing with the forest fire closing in on him??

It was looking good until I read the details, our place is 8 miles North of the fire. North is the only direction without a line.

553F9AA7-6C1D-405D-856B-9542AB723716.jpegDE7D4358-A355-4A3F-B8A6-10869E5AC794.jpeg

338 win mag just may work a tiny bit better then bear spray.
I just bought a 1905 Savage 1899 in 38-55 as a bear gun. It's also a straight wall case so I can use it in all MD shotgun counties. I'm also having a custom built in 444 Rimless, it should work as a bear gun also. first pic is the 1905 38-55, second is the clip fed 444 Rimless.
7DyvAPo.jpg

wU5Wezn.jpg

Back