Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amateur Hour Saw Porting!

That is my HF deluxe pedal control grinder!

The 066 with the Cross cylinder is running so strong that I decided to get another one of my 660s running. This one is an Asian saw with a Meteor piston and I'm putting an OEM 066 (w/decomp) jug on it. The transfers looked good, but the intake was wider on top than on the bottom. Since most of the flow occurs when it first opened, I fixed that issue and may have even made the bottom a bit wider.

The exhaust port had good width, but (IMO) a bit too much arch on top. I still left a little and made sure I beveled it, but a flatter top will usually make more power.

The squish was a bit too tight, and no one seems to sell thin gasket material, so I made one out of an aluminum can. Hopefully I will get it running tomorrow. Today I spend too much time running around to stores I was told had .005 gasket material but did not.

Fingers crossed it runs strong and stays together.

Attachments

• Porting066Cyl1of3.jpg
    Porting066Cyl1of3.jpg
    4.7 MB
  • Porting066Cyl2of3.jpg
    Porting066Cyl2of3.jpg
    3 MB
  • Porting066Cyl3of3.jpg
    Porting066Cyl3of3.jpg
    3 MB
Amateur Hour Saw Porting!

That is my HF deluxe pedal control grinder!

The 066 with the Cross cylinder is running so strong that I decided to get another one of my 660s running. This one is an Asian saw with a Meteor piston and I'm putting an OEM 066 (w/decomp) jug on it. The transfers looked good, but the intake was wider on top than on the bottom. Since most of the flow occurs when it first opened, I fixed that issue and may have even made the bottom a bit wider.

The exhaust port had good width, but (IMO) a bit too much arch on top. I still left a little and made sure I beveled it, but a flatter top will usually make more power.

The squish was a bit too tight, and no one seems to sell thin gasket material, so I made one out of an aluminum can. Hopefully I will get it running tomorrow. Today I spend too much time running around to stores I was told had .005 gasket material but did not.

Fingers crossed it runs strong and stays together.
For Harold??

No, he does not need one. I just did an inventory of my "saw projects" today, and this one needs the least amount of work! It was still running when I took it apart, just never got around to porting it. Since I took all my stuff out to do the 066 I just figured "keep going".

Plus, I have it, may as well see how strong I can make it run and use it. For the once every year or three he needs one, I'll come over to his place and let him use it.

The video came through of the buck. Not huge, but an 8 pt is an 8pt! Plus, his body looks decent size, a lot of good steaks in him!

Too many bandits up there to try to leave him for the future (one of my neighbors got busted of 8 untagged deer a couple of years ago).

Attachments

• BuckVideo10-08-2024.mp4
    2.2 MB
Hi guys. Finished up cutting in the new trailer parking lot. Everything went very well except I dropped one tree a little bit far to the left and broke the steering wheel one of my sons projectors. Luckily they have a lot of spare parts. Was trying to swing the tree to the left away from the garage and swung it too far.

Ended up with about 3/4 cord of wood from the project to split next year. One heaping load of rush to go to the dump tomorrow and a small pile after that we’ll be done. Will look at getting some gravel in there in the spring.

Dinner was pork steaks, simmered in cast-iron with mashed potatoes, pan, gravy, and cheesy broccoli pasta.

IMG_2815.jpegIMG_2814.jpegIMG_2813.jpegIMG_2812.jpegIMG_2811.jpeg

Back