Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not really familiar with the carb on these saws but is there a check valve/ball of some sort that might be leaking? Can you get a mirror/borescope in there to see where the gas is coming from?
I replaced the main check screen with a nos ball check kit. It's kinda a pain to install, but it's also kinda hard to screw it up at the same time. (I had this same issue before I rebuilt the carb.)
Yes, I may be able to get a little mirror in there, but I'm fairly certain it's leaking out of the main jet.

PXL_20241012_151137401.jpgPXL_20241013_135120679.jpgPXL_20241013_155624212.jpg
Is it scrounging when the wood comes to you? Was mowing the lawn when I saw my father in law pull up on his lawn tractor with a trailer load of rounds. An addendum to my previous scrounge at his place. My son helped me split it all up. Got about a face cord of silver maple and a good bit of pine which I split small for kindling

Would that be a lean to attached to the lean to? :laughing: It just cracks me up that you refer to part of the main structure as a lean to. :ices_rofl:
Well, it is using a supporting wall from the main bay, so technically it is a lean-to, jist not an open one. I actually put all the electrical on the east wall and routed the underground wire to the panel to the east of the south wall, just in I want to add another 16' to the gable end :rock:. Just not sure where the cash for that or the time to do it will come from, gotta pack things in tighter lol.
Yea , I have like 3 newly ported saws need some time on them ,that’s the problem not enough time , isn’t it always the issue 🤔
Yep, it's time, money, or health it seems.

Well, it is using a supporting wall from the main bay
But it's not leaning on the wall. If I recall, it uses a half truss (which, yes, is using the shared wall as support). I might see if it was just a rafter, but even then, it shares a roofline and sheathing, so it would not be fully leaning on the wall. Maybe that makes my barn two lean to's leaning against each other since it's a clear span with no trusses at all. 🤔 But hey, you can call the outside bay Sally if you want to. :lol: You can even call your future expansion lean to lean to a lean² (trademark pending). I do hear people refer to open horse pasture sheds with a slanted roof as a lean to, and they don't lean on anything! I guess some people are just more liberal than me (in their interpretation of what defines a lean to that is.) :hi:

I agree that it is a darn nice barn, whatever it's called. 👍

But it's not leaning on the wall. If I recall, it uses a half truss (which, yes, is using the shared wall as support). I might see if it was just a rafter, but even then, it shares a roofline and sheathing, so it would not be fully leaning on the wall. Maybe that makes my barn two lean to's leaning against each other since it's a clear span with no trusses at all. 🤔 But hey, you can call the outside bay Sally if you want to. :lol: You can even call your future expansion lean to lean to a lean² (trademark pending). I do hear people refer to open horse pasture sheds with a slanted roof as a lean to, and they don't lean on anything! I guess some people are just more liberal than me (in their interpretation of what defines a lean to that is.) :hi:

I agree that it is a darn nice barn, whatever it's called. 👍
depends in what you consider a lean-to. By definition it's just a structure that rests against another building or wall. Doesn't really matter if it's rafters or a half truss so long as it's hung off the side of the load bearing wall.

Temps got down into the 30s at the cabin this WE, so the wood stove was lightly used, but that insulated upstairs gets hot fast, even with a window open.

To transport the gravel, we built a ramp out of whatever was available. Remember, we are off the grid, so my HF generator made all the power. Started on the first pull!

The concrete is under the tarp, and after moving the gravel we built a platform for the concrete mixer and dumped it right in.

My water capture system worked flawlessly, as we needed more water than was in one barrel for this project! Weather was beautiful on Saturday, but it rained very hard Sunday morning (before daylight), then started again after noon time (for the rest of the day). The only good thing about that is it filled the water barrels again! Reminder, I transfer the water from barrel 1 to barrel 2 with an $18 HF pump that is powered by my DeWalt 20V drill. Works perfectly and does the whole barrel is less than 10 minutes.

You see Matt's helper in picture #2!

Attachments

• IMG_20241012_104326558_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241012_104326558_HDR.jpg
    5 MB
  • IMG_20241012_104334420_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241012_104334420_HDR.jpg
    6.3 MB
  • IMG_20241012_104349855_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241012_104349855_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB
  • IMG_20241012_104418336_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241012_104418336_HDR.jpg
    5.7 MB
We also enjoyed our new "beautiful view" that the logger did at my request. This is visible from the second floor of the cabin and from ground level 50 yds in front of the cabin.

We cut a few more trees to improve it a little more, but every time you do that there are a few more behind them that you also want to cut. It is not easy to do. I know the mountains in the West are far taller, but some of our slopes get just as steep, and the terrain is very rugged. You have to be very careful when descending with a saw, even if it is not running.

Hate ruining good "future lumber" but it is only a small portion of my trees, and open areas are good for game.

Unfortunately, the pictures do not do justice to the nice fall colors that were out there.

Attachments

• IMG_20241012_125238537_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241012_125238537_HDR.jpg
    7.3 MB
  • IMG_20241012_125259763.jpg
    IMG_20241012_125259763.jpg
    3.2 MB
  • IMG_20241012_125314421.jpg
    IMG_20241012_125314421.jpg
    6.6 MB
  • IMG_20241013_074614477_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241013_074614477_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB
...a structure that rests against another building or wall.

...so long as it's hung off the side of the load bearing wall.
And that there are the definitions we agree on. The upper end of a lean to roof abuts into the wall. Nobody would walk up to Brett's barn and say it is main building with two lean to's. But call it whatever you want. Just makes me laugh. :D

Back