Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I was out getting a neighbor a load of firewood. Had scoped the tree I wanted to start with on my Friday run, and gotten everything all set up when I got there yesterday morning. This included putting my 400 in the road on one side, and my gas and oil cans on another side, and then climbing up this steep hill to the tree. I was about 95% of the way through the back cut, so maybe 10 minutes of running saws into the process, when I happen to look up, and see a side by side on the road heading back out to the highway from hunting, maybe 100 yards from where I had the road blocked off. So I stop, and turn off my saw, just out of an abundance of caution. Now, when I've shut the road down before for other trees I know would go across the road on these forest service roads, everyone coming along has ALWAYS stopped. Every single darned time. But not this couple of hunters. They go, without slowing down at all, around my saw, and then around my gas and oil can. I can also assume that they heard my saw running while hang back out to their side by side. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted, and freaked out due to being pissed off that they didn't stop, and scared that I honestly could've hit this side by side. So I started my saw back up, and made sure no vehicles were going to drive by, and dropped that tree.
Other than that the tree went where I wanted it to, right in this hole between a bunch of spruce, and bucking it was a piece of cake.

So I was out getting a neighbor a load of firewood. Had scoped the tree I wanted to start with on my Friday run, and gotten everything all set up when I got there yesterday morning. This included putting my 400 in the road on one side, and my gas and oil cans on another side, and then climbing up this steep hill to the tree. I was about 95% of the way through the back cut, so maybe 10 minutes of running saws into the process, when I happen to look up, and see a side by side on the road heading back out to the highway from hunting, maybe 100 yards from where I had the road blocked off. So I stop, and turn off my saw, just out of an abundance of caution. Now, when I've shut the road down before for other trees I know would go across the road on these forest service roads, everyone coming along has ALWAYS stopped. Every single darned time. But not this couple of hunters. They go, without slowing down at all, around my saw, and then around my gas and oil can. I can also assume that they heard my saw running while hang back out to their side by side. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted, and freaked out due to being pissed off that they didn't stop, and scared that I honestly could've hit this side by side. So I started my saw back up, and made sure no vehicles were going to drive by, and dropped that tree.
Other than that the tree went where I wanted it to, right in this hole between a bunch of spruce, and bucking it was a piece of cake.
Some people are just after Darwin awards. We need to let more idjits collect their Darwin awards, and have less "safeties" to protect idjits from themselves. An old logger friend asked me to look at his washing machine. It has a lock for the lid. That is ridiculous. anyone stupid enough to reach in while the tub is spinning deserves to have their arm twisted off. I remember the old "Easy" washers with extractor like extra high speed spin in an open tub. Nobody i ever heard of got their arm twisted off. Back then idjits were allowed to collect their Darwin awards. Common sense, folks!

Unfortunately, it is very common for rail trail users to walk/bicycle right into a tree work zone. A “traffic cop” doesn’t stop some of them… This is one reason I set the hinge with a plunge cut and use a trigger whenever possible. It gives me one last chance to make sure there are no users creeping up on getting swatted.😉

yeah, we do well for each other. He's been a long time family friend, but till I moved down the street I didn't help him out much. We've become very good friends over the past 10 odd years. Gotten me out of more then a few jams, and honesty has kept me in wood for the past 4 years at least. Even all those oak beams I used In the shop he gave me. Really great guy. One of the few I'll drop whatever I'm doing and run to help, no questions asked.
Your shops looking good. Sure takes time and a pile of money to do anything these days. Understand that 100%.
Great friends are hard to find. I had one like that and we took care of each other when either of us needed a hand. Then 3 years ago I helped him pack up to move to Texas. We still talk about once a month to keep in touch. Treasure your best friends because they are hard to find.

Some people aren't very smart and were born stupid. Years ago I cleared my lot for my house. We had a woman dope like that. We were dropping a 36" Ash tree along the roadside. It was super heavy on the roadside. I was up in the tree removing a 16" diameter limb that crossed the road. My brother and wife were both out in the road to stop any traffic. At the very last moment this woman came flying down the road and would not stop. I was not watching the road. I figured that having two people out in the road would be enough. That limb came down right after she flew by just missing her car. The vehicles behind her stopped. If I ever have to do something like this again I will put my truck and tractor out in the road to block traffic or call the police to block it.

I haven't been doing vert much tree work around the property but did manage to clean just over 6 yards of twigs, sawdust and limb chippings from that 30" Maple that I took down a few weeks ago. That 24 cubic foot tractor dump cart sure came in handy for the disposing of it all. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I will take one today of the cleaned up area.

I had tried splitting the maple rounds from the neighbor's downed tree previously, but did not have much success. The chainsaw made much faster work of them, some I had to quarter just to get them in the trailer. Made three loads. The first load didn't make it through the rigorous photo editing system I use. 🤷‍♂️ (Me remembering to take a pic BEFORE it's unloaded.) 20241027_155925.jpg20241027_160958.jpg
There are a few big limbs left to harvest - it is cleared out of the yard for now so not as urgent to move.

Spent Fri. - Sun. up at the cabin getting things done.

Cut some of the firewood left by the logger into rounds (my friend Harold loves running my ported saws), and the Polaris makes a great saw transporter!

Attachments

• IMG_20241025_171646513_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241025_171646513_HDR.jpg
    5.9 MB
  • IMG_20241025_173248799_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241025_173248799_HDR.jpg
    6.8 MB
  • IMG_20241025_173254223_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241025_173254223_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB
  • IMG_20241025_173304464_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241025_173304464_HDR.jpg
    5 MB
We also tiled the floor and put the siding up on the bathroom attachment. Did not cut out for the outside door yet, but the nice "donated" window is in!

Even just staining the 8 panels (2 coats of solid color stain) was a lot of work, good thing I brought up a roller! That is synthetic T-111 from HD.

I went up Friday - Sunday, Harold Friday - Saturday, and my daughter Krystle Friday night - Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_20241026_145829568_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241026_145829568_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB
  • IMG_20241026_145918488_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241026_145918488_HDR.jpg
    5.9 MB
  • IMG_20241027_155502935_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241027_155502935_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB
  • IMG_20241027_155540371_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241027_155540371_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB
Alright guys, I am looking for your experience with zero turn mowers. I know the concept of the zero turn as dad bought one back when I was around 8 and I have put several thousand hours on it over the years so I am used to operating one.

This was in 2001 and he got a Toro, and in my opinion it is the best mower we have between us. I am looking to get one now to speed up my yard mowing next year and I am sure a lot has changed in 20+ years on the mower scene.

I don't need any super commercial grade nor can I afford one at the moment so I would be more interested in the "prosumer" models with at least a 54in cut. I want to go Toro again but I have been looking at these Hustler zero turn mowers and they seem like a good unit at a better price point, anyone have any experience with them? I am going to stop by the mom and pop dealer and see if they have a demo they would be willing to let me try out.

Alright guys, I am looking for your experience with zero turn mowers. I know the concept of the zero turn as dad bought one back when I was around 8 and I have put several thousand hours on it over the years so I am used to operating one.

This was in 2001 and he got a Toro, and in my opinion it is the best mower we have between us. I am looking to get one now to speed up my yard mowing next year and I am sure a lot has changed in 20+ years on the mower scene.

I don't need any super commercial grade nor can I afford one at the moment so I would be more interested in the "prosumer" models with at least a 54in cut. I want to go Toro again but I have been looking at these Hustler zero turn mowers and they seem like a good unit at a better price point, anyone have any experience with them? I am going to stop by the mom and pop dealer and see if they have a demo they would be willing to let me try out.
If you have a Country Clipper dealer in your area, check them out. I had one for awhile and it was really well built for a homeowner type machine.

ATV hunters are the most rude, obnoxious, and in your case DUMB group of individuals I have ever come across. We deal with them all the time around my cabin.

Some of the hodge-podge BNSF schemes I've seen:

BNSF 4729 "Frankenbonnet", Heritage II w/post merger Warbonnet hood:

BNSF 5441 Heritage II w/Heritage I hood section (Scaletrains has made this one and BNSF 4331 which is the same as 5441):

80804310_1002537763464332_1404547042725855232_n.jpg

BNSF 7816 Heritage III w/H2 hood:

401837937_2015924018792363_4116002787064111243_n.jpg

BNSF 7695 was an experimental variation of the H3 scheme that the swoosh/wedge logo on the long hood and nose was made out of yellow reflective material. It was never adopted and 7695 remains the only example now dubbed the "Golden Swoosh".

147428013_1325328874518551_5840696878466097514_n.jpg

Besides these there are countless others with countless combinations mixed & matched panels, doors (and HVAC units on Dash 9's) out there.

Back