sea foam?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstaton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It has been suggested that I use the fuel additive sea foam. I don't know anything about it. Does anyone have any experience with it? How much per gallon? What does it help? Can it hurt my chainsaws?
I use stihl 2 cycle oil and mix 50:1.

From a brief search, it seems that SeaFoam is a type of carbon buildup remover. All the places I read about it, they were using it during a rebuild. I have no idea, but most people that had used it seemed satisfied. They also said to read and follow the clear directions on the label.

If you have always used Stihl 2-cycle at 50-1, you shouldn't have much buildup. Unless you recently switched from a dirtier oil? Or have non-mathematicians mixing your 2-cycle gas for you? :confused:

I mix my oil at 50:1. don't suspect any build up, exhaust ports are clear, piston surface also. no build up in muffler at all.

My stihl dealer recommended it, says they use it in everything, even freed up a saw that had sat for two years, no compression, rings stuck.
The literature says it was a product that originally was designed for evinrude, back in the 30's, to overcome varnish and carbon buildup. It also says to use in all engines, 2 and 4 cycle, gas and diesel.
I was curious as to the actual experiences others had. If indeed it does work.

That might be his opinion, but I doubt if Stihl would recommend it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stihl oil has been thoroughly tested and should have all the necessary additives already included.

I assume your dealer is also the one selling this product? :blob6:

Where do I get some? I have a jug/piston off of a saw that had bar oil mixed in the fuel tank before I got it, stuck the ring so bad I had to break it to get it out. I put a new top end on the saw but would be willing to try this stuff to clean the old parts with.

They have it around here too. Usually its found in bars on top of a beer. The slang name for it is a "head"...Rick:cool:

Seems to me that the naptha and isopropyl alcohol would cut the lubricating properties of the oil. If it cuts the old, burnt on oil then it certainly would cut the new oil as well. Should work in old heavily carboned engines but I doubt I would put it in a newer motor without any buildup.

Latest posts

Back