Seeking input on chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachs

Reaction score
I have recently purchased 40 acres of woods (jungle) in Arkansas and want to clear the underbrush and thin the trees to about 10 feet apart. I don't want to create a fire hazard by leaving brush piles. Therefore, I am looking for a used chipper that can handle branches and logs up to 6 inches. Renting is not an option.

I have found a 1999 Vermeer 625 with 964 hours that has a 20 hp Honda engine. The asking price is $6,500. It was previously owned by a rental company. First of all, when I examine this machine, what types of things should I be looking for? Secondly, is the price about right?

I appreciate any input anyone can give me.

Thanks

I wouldn't buy less than a 9" to 12" disc chipper. You'll want atleast 70 to 80HP. SO MACHINE WON'T BE OVERWORKED. I sold my Vermeer 1250 when I got out of tree work. Best chipper I had, 80Hp perkins auto feed would chip 12" all day long. I have seen quite a few forsale between $8,000. to $10,000. Jusy my thoughs
Steve

You will find the slow feed drum chippers to be a bit cheaper than disk, due to the milling and balancing a disk needs.

I agree with the 12inch and HP lower limits that Steve lists. Diesel does not bog much, but if you cannot run a the engine for long periods to get up top temp, then they are a waste.

Rental company equipment are BEAT! Even if it was refubed by Vermeer, I would be leary.

Go to http://www.treetrader.com they have a monthly advertiser with a lot of used gear in it.

While for my own use, I would hate to have a small 625, for your needs it will be fine. I've used them, and they get the job done just fine, just slow.

$6500 is not cheap for that unit, but the hours are fairly low. Yes, it could be beat. A few tips: Get written warranty. Get diagnosis on chipper condition-motor, clutch, hydraulic system, bearings. (listen for any noise, main disc bearings are the most important.) Check all sheet metal, esp the chute. Is any welding patchwork visible? That motor is small, a bigger one is an option, so look around. Try:

treetrader.com

And demo it for a day.

arkansas!?! brushpiles - pile it on up and wait for the rain - it will start any day now - you should know the weather around here?!?!:confused: :confused:

a chipper sounds like a waste of money as you wont be able to clear 50 acres before weather sets in in a way you can burn all the brushpiles you want and roast marshmallows [sic] with your family:D without any worry of anything.

Back