Should I have bought the CS-3410 instead of the MS 182.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Today, I brought home an MS 182 to complement my MS 290. I wanted a lighter saw to handle some of the delimbing I do, but after taking it home, I realized it isn't as light as I had hoped and has more power than I need. I noticed that the CD-3410 is 2 pounds lighter and has similar specs and a comparable price point. I have dealers for both in my local town.

I used to have a MCCULLOCH MINI MAC 25, which was perfect for what I was doing, but it's now dead.

I'm looking for advice on what others would recommend.

I think a light saw is money well spent for limbing. not nearly as tiring and a good deal better fuel efficiency since smaller engine is not really loaded. Go get it.

Hey all,

Today, I brought home an MS 182 to complement my MS 290. I wanted a lighter saw to handle some of the delimbing I do, but after taking it home, I realized it isn't as light as I had hoped and has more power than I need. I noticed that the CD-3410 is 2 pounds lighter and has similar specs and a comparable price point. I have dealers for both in my local town.

I used to have a MCCULLOCH MINI MAC 25, which was perfect for what I was doing, but it's now dead.

I'm looking for advice on what others would recommend.
The 182 is almost as heavy as a 261, a 50cc saw that makes double the power. The 180 is lighter by a good amount and has the same power as the 182, this would have been a good option. The Echo stuff is well made, 5 year warranty and great bang for the buck but dealers are harder to find depending on where you live.

The 182 is almost as heavy as a 261, a 50cc saw that makes double the power. The 180 is lighter by a good amount and has the same power as the 182, this would have been a good option. The Echo stuff is well made, 5 year warranty and great bang for the buck but dealers are harder to find depending on where you live.
I don’t know about comparing it to the 261. That’s over double the cost. For the work I’m doing on the farm and the pace I work it’s not necessary. If someone had the budget though. Hell yeah the 261 would be sweet.

I think I’ll head over to echo, we have a dealer in town and the Stihl dealer I bought the 182 from said they would take it back.

Honestly it’s a nice saw with good features. A fine all rounder for occasional properly maintenance. And the price is great. Just not what I need to pair with my old trusty pawnshop 290.

I have the cs3410. Nice smaller saw. No quirky issues, starts easily cuts great.
The only thing I did to it was replace the starter handle. Too tiny for my liking, but that's a simple mod.

I don’t know about comparing it to the 261. That’s over double the cost. For the work I’m doing on the farm and the pace I work it’s not necessary. If someone had the budget though. Hell yeah the 261 would be sweet.

I think I’ll head over to echo, we have a dealer in town and the Stihl dealer I bought the 182 from said they would take it back.

Honestly it’s a nice saw with good features. A fine all rounder for occasional properly maintenance. And the price is great. Just not what I need to pair with my old trusty pawnshop 290.
For what you want to do the Echo is a fine choice, I like their products. Simple design, rugged, dependable, better built than anything in that price range. I have owned several of their saws and trimmers and they were all good to me. I love their speed feed 400 trimmer head. Best trimmer head on the market as far as I can tell. I can re-spool that head with line in about 30 seconds.

New stihl small saws are not the saws to buy. They even less powered and heavier then their older saws.

The 162 before your 182. Crazy to think their small saws gained that much. I didnt care for 171 181 but now these 2 ones even worse.

Hate to even say it. But Gen1 170 180 were better then their last to Gen2 and Gen3 of these plastic saws ending in 1 and 2.

I just see them when they come in.

Attachments

• s162specs.jpg
    s162specs.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
Back