Solar Kiln Materials Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have long been interested in a solar kiln but among my other needs, the cost of materials has always been a bit steep vs how much I'd use it. Just haven't been milling much for awhile, too much wood stored already in not enough space. But when I saw these for free twenty miles outside of town on CL, had to go grab some. There were tons more from some refrigerated warehouse in an industrial park that was dismantled, but only could load this many on my own. Already framed out with 2x4's, most of them 3" thick and one 6" thick.They're 4' x 9'8" which is perfect for a kiln. Might go grab some more tomorrow in case I want to build a walk in fridge too someday. These things go for a good $300 each I think normally.

fridgepanels.jpg
42D0A2D3-9FF9-41F9-92EE-582F57978F99.jpeg

If those are completely filled with foam, that sucker is going to heat up like no tomorrow! It wouldn't cost much to set up an actual regulated dehumidification kiln. Dehumidifier, heat and a control box. You see the temps I got out of a barely insulated box, you wouldnt have to run heat in summer but you'll want it come winter!

If those are completely filled with foam, that sucker is going to heat up like no tomorrow! It wouldn't cost much to set up an actual regulated dehumidification kiln. Dehumidifier, heat and a control box. You see the temps I got out of a barely insulated box, you wouldnt have to run heat in summer but you'll want it come winter!
I was thinking I could regulate a lot better with a standard kiln vs a solar one. They are entirely foam filled, top quality walk in fridge/freezer panels. So I think I may build a standard regulated kiln with it as you say rather than a solar one. Will hold heat effortlessly. I feel like a solar kiln, especially with those panels, would get too hot here and dry wood too fast.

I was thinking I could regulate a lot better with a standard kiln vs a solar one. They are entirely foam filled, top quality walk in fridge/freezer panels. So I think I may build a standard regulated kiln with it as you say rather than a solar one. Will hold heat effortlessly. I feel like a solar kiln, especially with those panels, would get too hot here and dry wood too fast.
Yeah you might as well. They're so insulated the heating cost will be negligible probably. Get a humidity/temp regulator right on Amazon. Basically cuts the power off and on, so take that into account when selecting the sources. Heat lamps probably your best bet. I know most home marketed dehumidifiers today, like space heaters, have a safety shutoff at 120 degrees. But sometimes they may shutoff earlier, say 110 degrees. Something else to consider. Haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to use for mine. I know that $20 plastic fan from Lowes impressed me, it stood half a day at 160 degrees, just doesn't lock in place anymore because the heat warped the frame so bad lol, still usable though.

Latest posts

Back