MS192TC.... about to pull my hair out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TampaChad

Reaction score
Old MS192TC. Ive owned it about 10 years, maybe? I'm just a home owner, used to to trim branches, etc. It hasn't seen much use, but I've used it

Always used non-eth fuel, and Stihl oil. mixed how they say

It sat for about 5 years. I used it some a couple years ago and it ran fine (fine, not great). It has now sat for 2 years and wouldn't start.

Primer bulb was cracked, so I replaced it.

I took apart the carb and cleaned it, used a Zama RB-69 kit and rebuilt it. It wasn't dirty/gummy inside at all.

I still cant get it to run and BARELY fire.

Went and ordered a generic carb off amazon. Installed it. Fires up second pull but bogs when I hit throttle.

I re-re-built the stock carb. Ultrasonic cleaned. Made sure to spray liberal amounts of carb cleaner in very passage. Took out jets, needles, etc. They look fine

Set needles to 1 turn out. reinstalled everything. It doesn't want to stay running at all.

Still having issues getting it to run.

I don't want to keep throwing parts at it, but dont mind buying parts to get it going.

Compression test is fine. I have a cheap vacuum tester, but honestly don't know how to properly use it to test this saw

What should I check next?

New NGK plug and filter/clunk.

So I put the amazon carb back on, fired right up again. Tuned down the H needle and it's running fine.

I'd like to get the OEM carb working, but for now at least I have a saw I can use to prep for Hurricane Milton

I should add. I've rebuilt dozens of small engine carbs in my time. I even watched a YT video to make sure I was getting this specific one right. By all accounts, I did. Something still seems wrong with it.

Also, spark arrestor screen was very clean, but I did remove it. New air filter as well

Hey, similar-ish issue to my MS192t that I posted a thread on here.

1) Does it idle?
2) When you start it (no chain brake), using the correct choke settings it should go to max rpms, if you leave it like that does it stay running?
3) What happens when you blip the throttle to make the master control lever jump back to its normal position? The saw should go to idle. Does yours die?
4) If it idles, but bogs/dies on throttle, reset the carb to factory settings. I can provide the service manual and IPL for this saw if you need (let me know).

It may feel like it has good compression, but the problems you mention indicate it does not. You could spend about $25 for a new device or have a shop test it. I have a pair of these saws in the boneyard and both have under 45 psi compression. Both will not run, even with new carbs. I'm parting them out as needed. If I ever have nothing to do, I may rebuild the top end on one. But, that job is not easy because the engine has to be completely removed.

Back